Pro Print Services?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by triangular, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Except for less important personal stuff, I don't normally print my own images, or even prep them for specific printers. Over the weekend I shot some images for a friends wedding. I want to give him high quality prints from my NEF's, or I can convert to tiff first, but I don't have a printer I would use.

Anybody have suggestions for pro print quality online services? These are files from a D2H with ample lighting (outdoors), and I'd like to give him a good selection of clean images at sizes of 8X10, and maybe a few a little larger. I also need the option for a series of smaller sets to give away or use in scrap books.

Who have you used that you were happy with? Could they work directly with NEF files?

Thanks,

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I print my own, so cannot offer advice on outsourcing. However, I would think you would want to do some post-processing to TIFF or JPG. I doubt that any commercial printers would print direct from NEF, and speaking for my own images, that would not give the best results anyway.

3. I suggest that you look at White House Custom Color (WHCC). Many pro's use this service and like it a lot. I personally send all of my major work there and they are quick and reasonable. It does take some effort to get signed up with them and they have a $12.00 minumum order for free shipping. Of all the places I have had prints done they are by far the best. Their turnaround time (door to door) is approximately 5 days.

For quick work locally I use Costco. I have an established relationship with the people that work there and they give my work priority and will print them while I wait. They also will print with no auto correction if I ask.

4. Thanks Grey, I was considering Mpix, but Im looking at WHCC now as well.

5. GMolotsky

GMolotsky Guest

Happy with Mpix

I'm very happy with Mpix and have even printed pics from a Bar Mitzvah I shoot at 20"x30" with excellent results. You can even send them pics in Adobe RGB. I normally do all work in NC 4 & PS then send them the large jpegs or Tiffs (approx 4 mb each for jpeg). It can take a while to upload but i have never been dissappointed with the quality.

Happy printing,

Gregg

6. Gregg, what camera did you shoot with, that Mpix printed at 20X30 for you? What was the resolution of the file you sent for that? Also what about sharpening? If I use PK Sharpener, normally I would want to know what type of printer it would be going to. I'm a bit confused about how to prep images for online printing services.

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    In the past I've used West Coast Imaging. More expensive than MPix but also more options as for print/paper selection. Unfortunately I got an email from them today stating that they are discontinuing their "standard" print pricing and only offering "exhibition" print pricing which means slightly faster turnaround time and much higher prices. I don't think I'll be using them anymore.

8. GMolotsky

GMolotsky Guest

Christian,
    Used a D100. As for sharpening, I just sharpened for a 13 x 19 print (which I can do on my Epson) and it worked for the 20 x 30. Send some tests, its not that expensive.

Gregg

9. I will vote along with Gordon. WHCC has done a great job with what I have sent them. Just received, 3 16 x 24 prints of a collage that I made. The colors were an exact match to my monitors and to 13 x 19 prints from my i9100. They offer a wide range of services, sizes, coatings, mounting options and now have a four color press option for inexpensive posters, cards etc.
    You have to sign up with them and then email them 3 to 5 8x10s to use as a color/processing check, when you get your prints back via 2 Day UPS you call them and give them a credit card number etc and you are off to the races.