1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Pro/prosumer/amateur

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR Forum' started by pforsell, Jul 3, 2008.

1. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    From a UK magazine an interview with a Nikon representative:

The biggest market will be those who have have been waiting for a full-frame affordable camera, a Nikon UK spokesman told journalists at the launch in central London.

The D700 is also aimed at photographers seeking a back-up camera for their D3, as well as studio photographers, he added.

The D700's body is built of a thicker magnesium alloy construction than the D300. So, it is more rugged for the professional lifestyle we envisage it being used for, according to the firm.

Nikon explained that the D700 has weather-proofing comparable to its F6 film-based model, adding that it excels the D300 and is not far behind the D3 in this respect.

Nikon seems to think that they have designed a professional camera.

2. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

As I understand it, the D700 is only significantly different to the D3 in weather sealing when you add the motor-drive attachment.

I don't know if that creates an ingress path for moisture into the D700 internals that isn't already there, and it isn't of any relevance to me as I'm not interested in this attachment.

3. This whole "prosumer" thing is simply a catch phrase coined to make wealthy amateurs and serious hobbyists feel better about buying expensive gear. Seems that if a product falls anywhere short of a flagship model, but still has all the bells and whistles, and costs more than the "regular" products, lots of amateurs/hobbyists will buy it because they can't quite justify the most expensive model.

Then again, you could easily call the D3 a "prosumer" camera as well based on that model. There are plenty of people on here who have that camera who are not pros. The manufacturers would shudder at that thought, though...

4. Shoot, I'm happy to call myself an amateur with a D3. I come nowhere close to earning more than half my annual salary through photography, so by definition I am an amateur. I own and use a D3 and D300, shoot for pay, and have been published quite a bit, but it's not how I make the majority of my living. "Pro-sumer" is a made-up, new age word lol.

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

our dream camera, Peter..a worthy upgrade from our d200's ....;-)

6. pforsell

pforsell

Jan 15, 2008
    Oh boy oh yes. :smile:

I think we just have to skip reading this forum for the next 3-4 months... because of the flood of the posts: "look at my black cat in the basement at midnight with the lens cap on... so little noise".

I'll be back when Nute is ready to do the magic.

Everybody buying a camera this caliber owes to push the baby to the limits. I mean it is not a new nintendo with funny buttons and flashing lights... it is a serious tool for expressing art. I am waiting mine with awe, respect and anticipation. Will I be able to reach the level of the camera or will I end up being just another epic failure and start posting here frustrated comments about too small viewfinder and too splotchy noise pattern with oscilloscope printouts to prove it. Time will tell.

7. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Oh hell yeah!! :biggrin:

8. ditto.
    This is a special paintbrush - not a new gadget.

Nute, even though I truly want mine as soon as possible, I genuinely hope you are the first of us...

9. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

"look at my black cat in the basement at midnight with the lens cap on... so little noise".

ROTFL!
    :Love::Love::Love:

i need to stay away from this forum ..lol
    :wink:

10. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

God is GOOD!

i'll have one of these but WHEN, i don't know!
    :frown:

11. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Whats wrong with photgraphing your cat:tongue:. Seriously, Iv been sick for a week and my cat has been a very willing and co-operative subject in keep "my chops" so to speak. Test the ring light. And the new to me macro lenes . Here kitty, kitty. And speaking of cats in the dark many years ago I caught two cats "going at it" under a car in a parking lot at night using A Nikon F2 and a Nikkor 135 F2 using t-max 3200 pushed to 50,000 ASA. So the high ASA has always been a point of pride and chalenge for me.
    And friday at the Rodeo , the only time I have been out in a week and a half . I was able to "nail" a horse breaking its leg being rode in the saddle bronk event. Manual focused with the D3. So maby all that cat practice pays off:biggrin:. Im debating if I should publish the capture. I means it a brutal photo , but the look of pain on the horse is a display of emotion thats touching. Anyways, ..OO
    Im feeling a little better, flu medicine kicking in .Im going to go out and shoot something without claws and fur or hoof.
    This post is kind of tounge and cheek. And kind of serious. A big part of what why I wanted to be part of the cafe is the cat picture's . So keep them coming

Cat lover and all things nature
    Greg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2008
  12. Sorry! I thought you were one of us pre-order gluttons for punishment!

Just for the record, I'm hanging on to my D200 and my day job!!

13. If you post it, please warn us accordingly! I'm still haunted by the image of a race horse breaking its leg and continuing to try to run on it. That was a long time ago, and I still can't forget it!

14. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Ya, no problem. I not sure I even want to see it. Its funny some women who was also shooting at the rodeo came over and said " why would you possibly want to shoot that. She was real angry for me have the odacity to shoot the "wreck" I guess she didnt notice I was crying. What a bitc**. Im mean oh my God the poor animal. So she goes and tells one of the infeild cowboys. Like I did somthing wrong. Who comes over to me and says " A picture like that is just propaganda. I talked to him about me "getting it." One of my teachers in school (Sait) taught me a thing or two about the Cowboy way. But I'll tell just like Don Wise would have said. "Its a killer Image. And its real. If they cant take it dont look." thanks Don. And yet I hesitate to realese it. Not because I fear the fall out. This Moral kiosk is about the me and the horse.

By the way I made the captue with a 80-200 EDAIS with the moter drive "humming" at 9FPS. Im sure if I was only shooting 5FPS i would have missed the moment. And I felt really self conscience dragging my 400 2.8 ED-IF and a 600 F 4 ED-IF up and down the fence line. Especially with my huge tripod, wimberly and 400 on my D2H on a monopod. And a bag with the zoom a couple wide angles and my 200 F2 AIS. All the other shooter where using 70-200. and thats it. But from the ends shooting steer wrestling I sure was happy to have the reach of the Big glass.
    I felt so sick after the horse breaking it leg and getting up off the ground with the cowboy still on its back , than throwing it self on its side to get the cowboy off it back and than runnig down the infeild. Soon after I just left. Spent the next couple hours driving around. Kind of in a daze.

Greg

15. Seeing injured animals is hard, but there is just something about a horse on a broken leg. Almost as bad as watching a severly injured person. I'm cringing thinking about it! Not to mention the likely outcome...

16. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Just an up date I talked to the son of the orginizer of the Rodeo today. Next week we have a meeting about the photo:cool:  I took and than Ill decide what to do with this Image. Now named "the wreck".:cool: 
    As far as the D700 Iv talked to a couple of stores and looks like the end of the month we can all get one. So long as we got $3,000.

17. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

Nikon UK does not always speak for Nikon, and this quote implying that the D200 and D300 are not pro cameras is at odds with their own policies which according to NPS in the US and UK they are. Nikon does not make "prosumer" cameras. People choose to call some of their cameras "prosumer"; but a D80 or D70 probably come closer to that description given that pros might use them but they don't qualify for NPS; the D200 used to fall into this in-between category, but not anymore.

18. I think the D700 is still prosumer with pro guts. My D2H flew 30 feet and landed on solid pavement and survived. My appreciation for pro bodies stem from that experience.

19. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

Dispense with the "prosumer" term, it's made up. As for "pro guts", my bet is the processing power of the D700 AF is the same as the D300, which is not as much as the D3 -- but such speculation is just that at this time, and time will tell.

20. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    I think you mis-read the quote, though I can see how that is easily done. What they mean is that the D700 is suited to a more demanding professional life, and that it is more robust than other cameras listed as pro by Nikon UK such as the D200 and D300.

Nice camera!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.