Probably a dumb question but..

If my sb800 is set to remote, I want to use it as fill, is it ready to go or do I need to do something else to it? I am looking in the manual but I am not the best tech type person, to me it's very overwhelming. Trying to figure it out...Do I set that in the mode on the camera? Thanks for any help.

There are multiple possibilities, and more situations than you mentioned.:smile: Like is it fill with daylight, or with two flashes, etc? Revealing more detail about your specific goal can only help with any answer.

You said "remote", so yes, it is ready to go if in commander TTL mode, but there are some details of interest. In remote TTL mode, it will be metered, and it will do automatic fill, with either the ambient daylight, or with a second flash. The result likely will be close to what you want, but it could be a bit too strong or too weak for your preference (there is no one answer to what is "correct". Correct is what you think it should do). Speaking of Remote mode, you simply specify compensation in the commander menu to tweak its power the way you want it. This is a simple offset from the automatic value, to be a bit more or less than it is currently doing.

Fill in bright sunlight is a bit more complex, since the D200 maximum shutter sync speed is 1/250 second, meaning you may have to be near f/16 in bright sun. Camera P mode is good for fill flash in bright sun. Again, pay attention to results and consider flash compensation in the commander menu. For example, if the fill flash is a bit too obvious, more than wanted, then tone it down with -1/3 EV to -1.0EV compensation, to be how you want it to look. Spend a little time just experimenting, then after a few times, you pretty much "just know" how much. With the D200, there are also other options to achieve wider aperture (Auto FP mode, for fill flash in bright sun).

Indoors, camera A or M mode is better. With two flashes remote, as main and fill indoors, you should put one flash in Group A and one in Group B, so both can be metered and controlled individually. This automation sets them equal and correct at the subject (correct as the camera assumes it). You can still compensate one (in commander menu) to give your notion of correct, and to give your desired lighting ratio. In this case, the fill is often set to be -1.0EV, relative to the main light (lighting ratio), but there are choices.

If these terms are not obvious, then please do ask about it... anything not understood.

Here is an abbreviated Nikon setup sheet for wireless remote flash setup:
http://www.nikonusa.com/Assets/Common-Assets/PDF/FastTrack_To_WirelessSpeedlights.pdf

The TTL flash is always automatic. But it is not always precisely what we prefer (individuals differ in preference). Therefore, we always pay attention to results, and consider any needed flash compensation, to always get exactly what we want. Contemplation of flash compensation is the key.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wayne,
Thanks so much for your fast response. I want a fill for outdoor daylight. Forgive me but I am not good very good with this stuff...yet. So I want to put my D200 in P mode since I will be outside? I prefer to use Aperture mode. Then if I need to change the output of the flash I do that in the camera menu, right?

Fill in outdoor daylight:

You can use camera A mode, sure. The deal is that your shutter speed to sync flash is limited to 1/250 second, maximum sync speed with flash. Sunny 16 says expected exposure in bright sun at ISO 200 is f/16 at 1/200 second. You can use that. f/11 1/400 and f/8 1/800 are equivilant exposures (usable without flash), but with flash, your maximum shutter speed is 1/250 second, so no go. If you use Aperture mode and set f/5.6 in bright sun, your shutter speed will simply give the warning HI, and no go, since f/5.6 and 1/250 second will not do the job. If you realize that and change the aperture (which you set) to f/16, then you are good to go. Or if you use camera P mode, it will make that choice for you. That is all that I meant.

Auto FP mode (D200 menu E1) gives a different setup, called High Speed Sync HSS. Then you can set f/2.8 at 1/6400 second with flash in bright sun (any equivalent exposure). Then the flash shifts gears and becomes a continuous light (for the duration of the focal plane shutter) and it will work this way, then. However, the flash loses more than 2 stops of power in that mode, and your distance range becomes smaller. As fill flash, the SB-800 might do 10 or 12 feet then, maybe (as a weaker fill flash - not as the sole light source)... Always pay attention to your Ready LED blinking 3 times in warning of underexposure due to insufficient flash power.

Yes, any TTL flash mode is automatic power level (camera meters preflash and decides power level). If for example, you change to a more narrow aperture, this reduces sunlight and the daylight picture becomes dim (if shutter speed is not compensated). But flash TTL automation will simply increase flash power level (if sufficient power exists), and the flash exposure stays the same. However, you can tweak that automated flash power level with flash compensation. In case of using the Nikon Commander, you do that in the commander menu. For hot shoe flash in TTL or TTL BL mode, you can do that with the camera button for Flash compensation.

Exposure compensation changes exposure of everything, daylight, flash, everything.
Flash compensation changes only flash power level. Or on hot shoe flash, you can compensate the flash on the flash menu directly.

These ALL add together, as seen by the flash.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom