1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Problem Opening NEFs on a Mac

Discussion in 'Nikon Capture and View NX' started by larryk, Aug 3, 2009.

1. larryk

larryk

Sep 6, 2005
    Edmonton
    I have a desktop PC running Vista and use Capture NX2 (latest version) to edit my NEFs. I also have a MacBook Pro with the Mac version of Capture NX2 (latest version). I use Nikon Transfer to move my NEFs from the camera to the PC. The two machines are networked and I can open JPEG files on my Mac that are located on the PC's hard-drive.

I have a problem opening newer NEF files that are located on my PC with any of my Mac applications (including the Mac versions on Capture NX2 and Nikon View). I get a message "unsupported file type". I can open older NEFs that were transferred from my CF card to the PC when I was running older versions of Nikon Transfer.

Any idea what the problem is?

2. I'm surprised you can open jpegs that are stored on the PC. i was under the impression that without specialized software, you could not open files on one system that are saved to a different system due to the format of the hard drives. I have not a clue as to what is going on.

3. zeus1

zeus1

Dec 14, 2006
    Belgium
    Have You tried moving the NEFs from the PC to the Mac desktop and then opening them? What happens if You d/l these original files directly from the menory card to the Mac? Can You open them? Why use Nikon Transfer when it is easier and faster d/l files from the mem card using an inexpensive card reader?

4. Did you try selecting a nef and then do a get information? If so, what is the default app. If not NX2 on the Mac, do open with .... selecting NX2 on Mac. I do not a pc networked to my Mac, but sometimes an old version of PS tries to open the file and can't (its version of camera raw does not suppor it) and I get the message you get.

5. When folders are shared on a PC you can see these under Network on the Mac.

6. larryk

larryk

Sep 6, 2005
    Edmonton
    I have isolated the problem to Nikon Transfer. It appears that when Nikon Transfer moves the files from the Compact Flash card (using a card reader) to a folder on my PC, it must add something to the file that makes the NEF file unreadable on the Mac. I disabled the "file re-naming" in Nikon Transfer, but this did not help.

I tried transferring the NEFs from my CF card to my PC using Windows Transfer and also dragging them to a folder using Windows Explorer. For both of these methods, the Mac can open the NEFs.

This is currently not a big deal, but down the road, if I ever go 100% Mac, I will not be able to read any of my archived NEFs.

7. Roscoe

Roscoe

Apr 26, 2009
    Vegas
    I dropped files on my PC and then copied them over the mac and they opened fine. I don't recall the copy method (stick or network...have serious sharing issues at the moment).

8. Intuitively, that just doesn't make sense to me. Nikon's software licenses are good for both platforms. The NEF works fine on both platforms.

9. Omar

Omar

Apr 25, 2009
    Kitchener, ON
    This is off topic a bit, but I use Nikon Transfer to move files even when the memory card is in a card reader. I've got it set up to easily create the folder, and rename the files during the transfer (both based on a naming pattern I've set up where I just have to edit a keyword). It also adds some xmp/iptc information automatically for me and adds a default label and rating to each picture. If I wanted, it could also immediately send a backup copy of each file to a different computer on my network. Finally, it closes itself and opens ViewNX, which is the next step in my picture management workflow, to the correct folder.

BTW, I don't see any difference in speed between my card reader and direct from the camera. I chose the memory cards for their speed on this camera, and the card reader for its ability to work well with those cards. The limit is my computer's ability to do the file renaming and the other stuff Transfer is adding to the files.

I'm a strong Windows File Manager user, and generally avoid camera transfer software. In this case, Nikon Transfer has shown its worth to me. The auto file renaming is the main reason, but the rest is gravy.

To the original problem, I have no idea what's going on. Any chance you're imbedding the ICC color profile during the transfer? I haven't a clue whether that makes a difference or not, but it's about the only thing I can see that might have a cross-platform effect.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.