Problem opening photo files

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by RecalcitrantRon, Jul 5, 2007.

1. I am sure there is a very easy fix for this, but still being new to my Mac, I can't seem to find it. I originally downloaded NikonView fro the Mac, but it is so excruciatingly slow, that I uninstalled it by dumping it in the trash. I have since just purchased Capture NX. Now when I go to open a photo file, I get an error because the MacBook is looking for NikonView. How do I set the default from View to Capture NX and make sure that View is completely uninstalled?

2. Check over at macosg.com by searching to see if you can find something?

Probably need to delete the NV .plist file. Might check in Preferences in Capture and see if there is a setting there?

3. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Right-click (or Command + I) on one of the photo files, choose Get Info, change the app in the Open with section, click Change All.

4. Thanks. I'll try it tonight.

5. Changing default application

Just launch the application Image Capture. It's in your Applications folder.
    At the top left of your screen click on "Image Capture" and a dropdown menu will appear. From that menu select Preferences. The Image Capture Preferences window will open.
    For "When a camera is connected, open:" - click on the drop down menu (may say "No Application" or "Nikon View"). Select "Nikon NX" from the Applications folder.
    Close the Image Capture Preferences window.
    Quit Image Capture
    From now on, whenever you connect your camera (or card reader also, I think) Nikon NX will launch.

Note: downloading directly from your camera is typically slow. Using a (USB 2.0 or Firewire) card reader will be much faster. The card readers are pretty inexpensive.