Problem Ordering Lightsphere II

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by dburanich, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Has anyone else had a problem receiving their Lightsphere products in a timely manner? I ordered one over two weeks ago. The day after I ordered I contacted Kelly there to see if I could change my order to the newer version of the Lightsphere. She told me it was too late it had already shipped but I could return it for an exchange if I wanted to. I live about 40 miles from their facility and UPS ground service is usually about 1 day. I have not received anything yet and Kelly has failed to respond to two of my emails regarding the missing shipment. My credit card has already been charged so I guess I will have to notify them and obtain a credit. Can't believe their lack of customer service.

2. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    You're right

I ordered a Lightsphere II about a year ago from these guys and they took their own sweet time shipping it. My guess is that Fong's outfit is not a very big operation.

On the plus side, I love the Lightsphere II and I'm considering buying the new Lightsphere PJ also. (Even if it does take a month to arrive!)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2005
  3. JCPhoto

JCPhoto Guest

Your not alone

I bought mine and it came pretty fast but I've heard many people complain about not getting theirs. The other complaint was the lack of response when you try to email them to find out what happened. I went to Gary's forum and he said he had so many orders from their small office that they had to use his father to help in shipping them out. It sounds like too many orders being sent from a small office with too few people sending them out. He also said there were some problems in getting them from the manufacturer because they didn't plan on the large amount of orders. It should get to you but it won't be as fast as you would like. It does work very well to diffuse the light and you won't be disapointed when you try it out.

4. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Waiting, too

I went ahead and ordered the Lightsphere PJ on Monday, 10/10/05 for my second flash unit. The plan is to use both of 'em on lightstands for shooting interiors of model homes. We'll see how low it takes to arrive.

5. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Received Lightsphere PJ today

So, if you're keeping score, it took 11 days from payment to arrival at the door for the Gary Fong Inc.'s Lightsphere PJ.

6. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    I'm wondering how good your pictures with it look....
    any help on that front?

I like the LS, but that big plastic floppy bowl thing is not happening at crowded press events.

7. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    You're right, Twig

I like the light I get from the Lightsphere, but that big bowl was, well, just too damn big. So they introduced the Lightsphere PJ (for photojournalist) which is slightly smaller, flexible and doesn't have the big dome thingy. I haven't been able to give it a full testing yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll like it.

It certainly fits better and tighter on the SB-800 than the first one does, I can tell you that.

Now, as I'm sure you're aware, some people will argue that Fong is the biggest charlatan on the planet and he's essentially selling the world tupperware for an exorbitant price. (Personally, I think that award should be reserved for those Pringle can lids that Expodisk is selling for a hundred smackers, but that's a different story.)

But I'm pretty happy with the results I have gotten from the Lightsphere. The best test I can say is that it lit up entire roomfuls of people pretty nicely when I was shooting the grand opening of a new housing development. In fact, here is a couple of shots from that assignment, so you can judge for yourself:

View attachment 16273

View attachment 16274

8. Gary Fong Just Doesn't Care

Well I tried emailing Gary Fong over this issue. He did respond quickly but only to say he would forward the information to his father, whatever that means. Still no lightsphere after almost 6 weeks. Completely inexcusable for something I was told shipped two days after I ordered it. Contacted my credit card company, charges have been cancelled. Will never deal with this idiot again.

Now this brings me to my next question. Gary Fong cannot be the only game in town for a good diffuser that will eliminate shadows. I have seen a few things from Lumiquest but I would like some help in guiding me in the right direction. Any suggestions on what I can use on my SB-800.

9. D2XDeb

D2XDeb

Oct 21, 2005
    Manhattan USA
    lightsphere

i ordered 2, and got them in a timely manner-4 days.
    John-are your shots with one flash and 1 lightsphere or 2/2? They look great. Beats bringing out the dynalites when you don't have the room, or time to set up.

Debbie

10. Debbie,
    I am totally baffled by the inconsistencies in the way his customers are treated. I have seen a lot of postings where people do not get their product for months and others get it in days such as yourself. One thing I have noticed though, the others that I have heard from that received their product in a few days used PayPal to make their payment. Those having problems used credit card. I have no idea what difference it would make. Just seems kind of strange. Just curious, how did you pay for yours? Credit card or PayPal?

11. I used PayPal and got mine right away.

12. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Debbie, to answer your questions...

Those shots were all taken with one Lightsphere II mounted directly on the camera. I was shooting the grand opening of a housing development which required me to move around inside and outside several model units. I didn't purchase a second flash and the Lightsphere PJ until just last week.