Problem w/200-400VR

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Steve S, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Whenever it attempts to radically change focus distances, it just makes a whirring sound, but doesn't change the focus or get a focus lock, but if I manually rotate the focusing ring, and get it close, it'll lock on. If it's just a minor change in focus distance, it works normally. Any ideas? Just cleaned the contacts, but that didn't help.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    are you using the buttons on the front to engage the focus? If you are then check to make sure its not set to memory recall on the side panel.

Other than that, not sure.

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Steve :

There's a switch on the barrel for FULL - ∞-6m . If the switch is set to ∞-6m, it doesn't autofocus at close ranges. OTOH, if it's set for FULL, it can cycle across the range before acquiring an AF lock.

Is that it ?

John P.

4. Sounds like you have the switch set like John P said 6m-∞! :?

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    No you guys, that's Not it,

May be I didn't make myself clear enough. It WON'T find ANY focus when changing from near to far or vise versa. It'll just sit there and whirr. The switches have been moved back and forth innumerable times, and is normally left on "Full". I've had this lens since it 1st came out, and have had it on one of my cameras nearly constantly. Maybe I'm overlooking something else obvious, but at this point, I'm convinced it's broken.

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Re: No you guys, that's Not it,

Steve :

Argh.

A few other very quick questions, then, before deciding the lens is broken.

- Are the contacts on the collar intact, clean, unimpeded ?

- Does the camera have sufficient battery power ?

- Have you tried it on more than one Nikon-compatible body ?

I feel your pain, guy, really...

John P.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Yes to all 3 questions John :(

I do dread having to send this monster back to Nikon, but looks like there's no other alternative right now. What's funny, is when you manuall rotate the focus ring to get it "in the ballpark, it'll snap to perfect focus every time. Just won't go from near to far or back by itself. Now, where'd I put that case? :?

8. Oh man, sorry! Sounds broke now that you said that. I did misunderstand. Hope it all goes well for you! :(