Problem with bird feeder

Apparently my old Squirrel-Buster has a weak spring. Note that the apertures for the birds to reach the seeds are open when there are no birds in attendance, but with four finches weighting it down they close entirely.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

There have been hordes of birds at the feeder recently, but the seed level drops very slowly. I now see why.

Brome is sending me a new spring mechanism.

I'm wondering if that feeder would work around bears?
It's been tested. Several years ago it was missing when I got up one morning. The shepherd's crook that it is suspended from was lying on the deck, bent. I found the feeder out in the yard, mostly empty, but undamaged.

No raccoon could have done that as that shepherd's crook is very heavy gauge steel.

Checkout the Yankee Flipper
Brome (Squirrel Buster) has one that will do that too. While that spinning is entertaining, it's unnecessary. The Squirrel Buster solves the squirrel problem, and Brome really stand behind their product. All replacement parts are free, including shipping. Over the 10 or so years I've had it, virtually everything but the outer cage has been replaced for free (and the outer cage survived a bear attack).

Brome (Squirrel Buster) has one that will do that too. While that spinning is entertaining, it's unnecessary. The Squirrel Buster solves the squirrel problem, and Brome really stand behind their product. All replacement parts are free, including shipping. Over the 10 or so years I've had it, virtually everything but the outer cage has been replaced for free (and the outer cage survived a bear attack).
Thanks Jim. Just ordered one. Wife got tired of my nailing baguettes and pizza slices to the trees, I’m pretty sure the neighborhood black bear has been eating them. Here’s a photo of that pig I took from the porch having a stare down with me.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Randy
After the 1st ride 1-2 riders in 10 years, new dumb kids I guess....they won’t even get close to it, we have 3 feeders now

Thanks Jim. Just ordered one. Wife got tired of my nailing baguettes and pizza slices to the trees, I’m pretty sure the neighborhood black bear has been eating them. Here’s a photo of that pig I took from the porch having a stare down with me.View attachment 1635846
They are getting cheeky. My next door neighbor got a video of one on his deck looking in the window once last year.

Out of precaution I bring my feeder inside every night, partly to avoid luring bears and partly for the raccoons who figured out how to sit on the deck rail and lean out far enough to reach the feeder.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom