Problem with D2x HSM corrupting card

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Sep 24, 2005.

1. I was at a little league game today and encountered a similar problem I encountered a couple of times already.

With two different brand 4gb CF cards my D2X went to sleep after a couple series of multiple shots. The green file transfer light sayed on indefinitely, then the camera would not shut off. I had to remove the battery. Then when I turned it on the LCD indicated the card is not usable. I'm not sure pulling the battery out trashed the CF card, but the initial problem was camera lockup after high speed shooting. The other "unique" circumstance was in the past on two of the 4gb cards I had bad sectors so I manually formated them under dos using Fat 32 in order to hide the bad sectors.

I'm using digital image recovery, a file recover application. So far I've recovered 6 files.

Has anyone encountered this phenomenon? The battery was charged, and this happened with several different lenses. Ask me any questions; maybe we can trace the problem. Iny ideas?

Thanks is advance.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2005
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I'd hoped a few more folks would have jumped in by now. One card is a Kingston 4GB and the other a Sandisk Ultra II 4gb. I was able to recover almost all the images, but a number are either thin slices of an image or contain a montage of several images. Of course one can't tell whether the recovery software did this or not. Interesting though that some of the mini-jpgs from the NEFs looked good but N.C. would either not load the raw part or load the montages or psychedelic versions where the colors were juxtaposed.

Thanks again,

Rich

4. Something related I have seen: when doing bursts of images at high speed, HSM and not, if I started another burst before the last one finished writing to the card, the card would end up corrupted.

I was able to recover all files the couple of times this happened to me.

I was shooting some animations, and was basically holding down the shutter until the camera's buffer was full. As I recall I was shooting medium sized JPEGs to maximize the number of images that would fit in the buffer (35?).

This was with a Lexar 2 GB card.

My impression is that there may just be a bug that happens when images are added to the buffer while writing is taking place. I was able to avoid it by simply waiting for each burst to finish writing.

5. Rich,
    I had a problem with one of my Lexar 2gig's where
    it corrupted the files. The files were mostly recoverable
    using Lexars Image Rescue program.

I spoke with Lexar about this and they said:
    Always format your cards in the camera that you will be
    using them in. They also said that you should always
    format your cards twice to consider them properly
    formatted.

I have stuck to these rules and (knock on wood)
    haven't had a problem since.

Cheers,
    Robin

6. Thanks. Interesting. I read that if/when the CF card develops bad sectors the formatting by a camera will not clear the bad sectors. As a matter of fact I think it was Thom Hogan in one of his eBooks.

I suppose then after formatting with the PC (to lock out bad sectors) I'll do a couple in the camera....can't hurt!

Rich

7. I do not believe that a CF card can have bad sectors like a hard disk can.

At least not the flash memory based cards.

8. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I have returned 2 Lexar CF cards during the last 5 years because they developed bad sectors, in one case ending up with 50% of the card being unreadable and permanently corrupt.

9. Interesting. I have never run into signs that they are fault tolerant at all. I believe you, just haven't seen it.

And I see a lot of user related problems. With cameras and memory cards.

Also, Rich, the more I think about it, the more I think the symptoms I saw were similar or the same as yours. I will try to reproduce tonight with my D2X.

10. I rattled off about 400 shots and was not able to reproduce the problem I saw so far.

[edit] Spoke too soon. The last ~30 images are definitely messed up. Nearly black and all identical. I had the camera to my eye the entire time so I know it's not what I pointed it at. Hm.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2005
  11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Rich :

I'm still shooting the D100, but I've had a couple of cards go sour in the (almost) three years of using the camera.

As for the "in-camera format" vs. computer format of a CF card, part of that mantra goes back to earlier cameras that could only use plain FAT on the CF card. If the user wasn't looking carefully at the format options, it could format in FAT32, and some cameras wouldn't use it. I clearly recall a discussion with a Nikon rep about this back in late 2002, and he indicated that the major issue was the formatting in FAT32, not that the camera formatted in plain FAT any "better".

Frankly, I very much doubt that the camera manufacturers have created a formatting sequence in their cameras that's as robust as some of the better third-party materials available to use on a computer to diagnose and isolate bad sectors. It's just not playing to their strengths, and more to the point, would use up pretty valuable program memory space in the camera, a premium item for the manufacturers to use on all that focusing SW, and other such stuff... :cool:

That said, I've formatted both ways in cases of bad cards, and neither approach seemed to make much difference. Once the card was bad, it was bad. Period.

John P.

12. HSC CF Card corruption update

Just returned from a three day session with Ron Reznick. The corruption happened three times with two Sandisk Ultra II and a Kingston card; all 4gb. Ron thinks it's the cards; they're trying to write zero byte files. The camera hangs and the green write light stays on indefinitely. Someone on DPR suggested looking at the serial numbers on the cards....where are they? I couldn't find any serial numbers.

Rich

13. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;