1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Problem with d80

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by motanel_pufos, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Recently I was at a wedding for some friends and I made some pictures.
    I have two memory cards of 4G and the camera shows me 530 pictures on large format, and fine option. After the wedding, I downloaded the pictures and there was 947 pictures. How do I make the camera to show me the real pictures number and not something else. I have the latest firmware update.

2. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    With my D300, a 4GB card will display roughly '189' shots, yet I get somewhere around 300.

I dunno. I wouldn't argue with it.

3. I didn't intended to make 1000 pictures, more like 400-500. But I didn't count them. :)  My old compact camera, a canon a95 show the numbers close to reality but a 800$ nikon camera doesn't??

4. bnk190

bnk190

Sep 27, 2008
    SE Wisconsin
    My D80 is the same way. I always get more pictures then what the number on the display reads. It almost seems 2 to 1.

5. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    I have 2 gig cards and it is spot on.

6. Did you made any firmware update or is the original ?

7. The camera can't 'guess' what type of shot you are going to take - so the number indicated is an estimate

When I go to the zoo and take 300-400 shots - there is a range in file size once I download the files

The lighter ones are smaller (lots of sun - overexposed) - 2.25Mb
    The darker ones are slightly larger - 2.46Mb
    The pictures with more colour are bigger - 3.21Mb

The camera can't guess what type will be recorded, so it takes the average size and divides it into the card size

Then as you take pictures, it will change based on what you have captured

So - no way of really knowing, but the 'guess' always seems to be a lower number than what you can get, so use that as a guideline

8. Woah - I just read your post again - and think I answered a different question than you asked

That number display on your camera is the REMAINING pictures that you can take on the card - NOT the amount you have TAKEN

Hope this helps

9. I know that the display shows me the remaining pictures left. But if is not acurate how do I know how many pictures I made??? Let's say that I want to make around 300-400 pictures per wedding. And I discover that I made around 1000. In this pace the shutter will die around 50-60 weddings.
    Do you digg me? I just want to know how many pictures I made without using a laptop and a card reader or something else. And I saw that not all d80's or other dslr have this problem. A friend of mine bought recently an d80 with a 8G memory card and it shows 2K, something close to reality.

10. push the play button and look at what how many you have taken in the top left.

A camera is to be used, don't worry about the shutter.

As Pablo said, the camera can't KNOW how many photo's, it's not like film, file size changes depending on the scene.

When it gets above 1k it won't say an accurate number 1k covers 1000 to 1999 then it changes to 2k

11. ^ don't worry about the shutter count - if you get 50-60 weddings, that will pay for your replacement camera

I would think you could tell the difference between taking 300 pictures and 1000 pictures

I don't count as I a shoot - but I know when I have shot 400 at the zoo

12. PiotrC70

PiotrC70

Sep 18, 2008
    Seattle, WA

You're spot on. I covered this topic for someone that just bought a D300 and had the same question. I believe the camera only knows the max size a JPEG should use and that is the estimate it gives on the display. I haven't tried myself, BUT, turning off the camera and back on, should re-read the card to show the correct amount.

I've experienced this awkward phenomenon myself on a 3 week trip using a 4GB card and took 1200 pictures in total. Granted I ALWAYS dumped my days worth of pics on my laptop and portable harddrive, but I was surprised at the end of my trip to see only ~4.2 GB of pics.. :smile:

13. It always shows 530 pictures left on an empty 4G card. It does'n matter how many times I start and turn of the camera.

14. That's the maximum you could take at full quality with large file sizes due to complicated scenes - it's being safe .

15. kirbinster

kirbinster

Nov 24, 2007
    NJ, USA
    As others have said the number is a worst case estimate. The size of a file depends on many things, including the level of compression, the number and range of colors, the histogram. I would always want it to under-estimate than over estimate and run out of room on the card.

16. How many songs can I fit on a 6gb iPod?

Or does it depend on the file size? ;) 

17. PiotrC70

PiotrC70

Sep 18, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Sorry... Should have specified. When you have say 400 pictures on your camera and it shows you only have 100-ish available, turn off the camera and back on and see if it re-reads the card and gives you a different number of available shots.

18. As PhilDPho said, to find how many actual pictures have been taken, push the play buton and look in the right top corner.
    The topic can be closed. Thank you for your help.:smile:

19. TVayos

TVayos Guest

If your getting paid for the gig I would use smaller memory cards just in case the card fails you. This way you can salvage part of the work.

I have not problem with Sandisk CF cards on my d70s, tells me the exact count. I can not imagine why a camera produced more recently would have a problem there.

20. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    You can't. Those are estimated numbers, because the camera can't predict that you might change the resolution and/or size. My guess is that they're estimating low, so as not to give people false hope regarding the size of their memory cards.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.