Problem with my D80. Please help.

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by IRDutch, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Hi everyone,

Since a few weeks i have a problem with my D80. On the right side of every picture there is a black stripe. It is visible is every picture at the same position, This means i see the black stripe also at walls, water trees, etc. See example below.

[​IMG]

At first i thought it was my Tokina 12-24mm but now i see it also in the pictures made with the Tamrom 28-75mm. I cleaned my sensor and mirror with Visibledust fluid and pads more than once, but that did not help. I also cleaned my lenses. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Do i have a damaged sensor? Can it be repaired? Do i need a new camera? :smile: Thanks in advance for helping me.

Gert-Jan

2. Yes you need a new camera- and send me this broken old one:) Just kidding.
    This looks like dust/smear on the sensor. Do you have a loupe so you can actually look at the sensor and see what you are trying to clean? Although a damaged sensor is possible- it is quite unlikely. Clean some more, or have a friend/shop help you out. Sensor dust is common, and sometimes a little difficult to get rid of.
    Gary

3. Gary,

Indeed there was smear in the sensor. I cleaned it, made some test photos and the dark stripe is gone. I see a little scratch on the sensor though. I think that area is more vulnerable for dust and smear. I guess i have clean my sensor a bit more often until i get my D90 or D300 next year. Thanks for helping me.

Gert-Jan