Problem with my D80. Please help.

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by IRDutch, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Hi everyone,

Since a few weeks i have a problem with my D80. On the right side of every picture there is a black stripe. It is visible is every picture at the same position, This means i see the black stripe also at walls, water trees, etc. See example below.

[​IMG]

At first i thought it was my Tokina 12-24mm but now i see it also in the pictures made with the Tamrom 28-75mm. I cleaned my sensor and mirror with Visibledust fluid and pads more than once, but that did not help. I also cleaned my lenses. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Do i have a damaged sensor? Can it be repaired? Do i need a new camera? :smile: Thanks in advance for helping me.

Gert-Jan

2. Yes you need a new camera- and send me this broken old one:)  Just kidding.
    This looks like dust/smear on the sensor. Do you have a loupe so you can actually look at the sensor and see what you are trying to clean? Although a damaged sensor is possible- it is quite unlikely. Clean some more, or have a friend/shop help you out. Sensor dust is common, and sometimes a little difficult to get rid of.
    Gary

3. Gary,

Indeed there was smear in the sensor. I cleaned it, made some test photos and the dark stripe is gone. I see a little scratch on the sensor though. I think that area is more vulnerable for dust and smear. I guess i have clean my sensor a bit more often until i get my D90 or D300 next year. Thanks for helping me.

Gert-Jan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.