Problem with NEF files

I recently shot about 120 pictures at a college graduation. I shot them in RAW; processed them in NC; converted to jpeg in PhotoShop. But when I got about a third through the list of shots, I got a small screen on my desktop which said it couldn't open the NEF images. I was frustrated, so I just burned all the info onto a disc and took it to my printer. He just called and said he couldn't open them either. Has anyone had this problem? I'm at a real loss because this was an important event.

We need more details. What camera were they shot on? Did the error message come from NC? Did you try to open them in any other converter? Nikon View? ACR? Raw Essentials etc.?

K

Ken-L

There's a possibility that during the transfer process, from the card to the computer, there was an error and the files were corrupted.

Did you connect the camera to the computer, or use a card reader?

The problem can occur either way, but I would think it more likely with a camera-to-PC transfer.

It's unlikely the NEF files became corrupted in NC as it attempted to convert them to JPG.

If the files were corrupted during transfer you can't "fix" them. If the card you used has not been used for new photos since the old ones were erased, you can still get the old photos from the card because they would still be there. You would need to recover them using a utility the same way you would from a hard drive.

Okay, I'm a newbie at all of this, so I'll explain it the best I can.

I shot the images with a D70. Used a card reader to download to NC. Processed all images. Went to PhotoShop to do a few other things to them and then started converting them to jpeg. Got about a third of the way through and Photoshop said it couldn't open the balance of the images. When I took them to my printer, he had the same problem. We were able to find a computer "guru" who seems to have found a way to open them...........but I'm going to have to pay for his time while he does so. Ken, you mentioned converting in NC.........I don't know how to do that. I use PS to convert. Is that wrong?

Can you open the images in Nikon Capture? If so, you could try using that to convert the images. When you say "processed all images" in NC, what exactly did you do? I'm still not clear what PS couldn't open. The NEFs or the JPGs that you had converted? There is nothing wrong with converting from RAW to JPG in PS. It sounds like the problem occurred after you 'processed' the images.

John, I no longer have the files, so don't know if I can open them in NC editor. I burned them onto a disc and took it to my printer. Since I had a disc, I deleted the files. :oops: As far a "processing", I adjusted the curves some and did some color balancing, some white balance, sharpening, contrast control, etc. Then when I was through with that, I went to PS (not realizing I could convert in NC Editor) and did a few other things before trying to convert to jpeg. Funny thing was I was able to convert about 16 of the images before the problem.

K

Ken-L

and did a few other things before trying to convert to jpeg

It is likely that when you "did a few things" before trying to convert, is when it hit the fan....

That could easily be the fault of the program you were using, in combination with other factors about your computer, or not.

I use Nikon Capture to convert my NEF files.

If you have not had any activity on your CF card since you deleted the images, they can still be recovered from the CF card.

Chris,

This probably won't help with your current problem, but here is what many of us do:

- Shoot RAW

- Transfer the files from CF card to computer (various methods, all usually safe)

- Open them, one at a time, in Capture, and do the initial processing.

- Save each in Capture as either a .jpg or a .tiff (there are advantages and disadvantages to each).

- Open each, one at a time, in PS CS, and do final cropping and resizing, and save the results as a .jpg.

Can't bring back what you lost, but maybe will prevent future problems.

Okay, I think that was the problem. I wasn't saving the images in jpg or tiff in Nikon Capture before sending them to PhotoShop. I just tried a shot and it worked as advertised.

Thanks for asking me all the questions and therefore providing answers. Great bunch of people...........as always. :lol:

Chris C said:
I recently shot about 120 pictures at a college graduation. I shot them in RAW; processed them in NC; converted to jpeg in PhotoShop. But when I got about a third through the list of shots, I got a small screen on my desktop which said it couldn't open the NEF images. I was frustrated, so I just burned all the info onto a disc and took it to my printer. He just called and said he couldn't open them either. Has anyone had this problem? I'm at a real loss because this was an important event.

I'm not sure, but it sounds like you had all the images open in PS all at the same time? If so, your computer likely crashed. Workflow is personal preference...everyone has something different....here's mine that works rather well....

1. Shoot NEF + jpeg. The NEF file is your negative. The jpeg file is for quick previewing to determine which images you want to keep. That's why in-camera sharpening is set to Normal.

2. Upload to computer via card reader with card out of camera. My card reader is internal to computer (runs faster than external one).

3. Once images are uploaded, preview jpegs using ThumbsPlus Pro 7. This is a very fast and efficient preview program that allows a one keystroke delete http://www.cerious.com/

4. Once jpegs that you don't want are deleted, you can delete corresponding NEF images.

5. Now, you have jpeg & NEF files of your "keepers". At this point, I dump my jpegs because I always process from my NEF files. Others keep their jpegs for future previewing....your decision.

6. Run your batch process of NEF files in Nikon Capture 4.2.1 using settings required to batch process the specific photos you took. (If you're keeping your corresponding jpegs, make sure you move them to another folder so you don't batch process them too.)

Note: I now turn sharpening off in batch processing and also turn USM off. Because, after I save as TIFF for PS, I run Fred Miranda's ResizePro which is awesome and requires the image not sharpened or USM'd.

7. Once batch process is run, "open multiple images" in Capture to view your batch processed NEF files. Final modifications are made and then I resave NEFs (my negatives).

8. Once NEFs are resaved, in Capture, I save as TIFFs and then run Fred Miranda's ResizePro http://www.fredmiranda.com/RP/ in Photoshop CS.

Now I've got a TIFF or Jpeg depending on which batch process I run that is properly interpolated and sharpened depending the output and size I select in ResizePro.

I can crank through this post processing in no time. I've found that the D2x has a much more accurate auto White Balance than the D70, so that alone saves a significant amount of time tweaking in Capture.

Hope this helps.

Bravocharlie....................all of which is why I think I've shot my last RAW image. I've too much on my plate to spend that much time processing what will most likely only be snapshots of people and events. I spent 27 years as a professional photographer, consumed with perfectionism, both in the field and in the darkroom. My images, now, are basically for information. Photography for me now is neither a profession nor a hobby. When I have a print made now, I won't have a lupe around my neck checking for grain (pixels). Such a relief. All I want at this point is to learn how to use this new-fangled digital camera so I can record consistant images.

K

Ken-L

Shoot RAW+JPG mode, that way you will automatically have JPG's and if you really messed up a shot you need, you have the RAW to help salvage it.

Using Nikon Capture, your RAW files will be displayed with all your camera's settings intact. A simple batch process would either copy them as JPG or TIFF, etc., all at once - it will also let you make an adjustment to all the shots.

Don't give up on RAW, this is just a learning curve!

Ken, I think I already have. It's just not worth it to me to spend that much time on happysnaps. I can't afford to buy the regular NC and my trial ends in five days. Think I'll just stick with jpeg. Thanks for the encouragement anyway.

M

marc

sir,

shoot jpeg, there is nothing wrong with that, use picture project or nikon view both free to download

picture project has an excellent basic set of edit features, they do a really good job

i can tell you, if you use pp and let it fix your images, when you open themm in photoshop, there will be no further processing

you sound like a down to earth guy, so i have just given you some down to earth info

two many photo snobs, you enjoy yourself, pp is a good program.

it prints and crops also.

i used it for my daughters college graduation photos, they are beautiful

Latest threads

Top Bottom