? problem with NEW 80-400mm

I am using this new lens with both the D800 & D7100. If in AF-S mode, focus will be achieved very quickly at all focal lengths. If in AF-C or AF-A, focus can be achieved until 300 and above. Once I hit 300, the lens does not "hunt" but the range finder in the viewer of both cameras shows focus is not achieved because the circle and arrows alternate.. I have no problems using the 70-200 with 2x extender handheld. Focus is very quick and locks so I don't think my technique is too far off. I am not able to test on a tripod at this time. Any thoughts appreciated. Would you send this lens back for a replacement?

Sounds weird. I have no problems with mine. AF is fast and locks on fine. The only time I have problems is when I'm off my game.:biggrin:

Both my bodies (D600 and D7100) do that at 400mm with the new 80-400 in AF-C, the dot and arrow flashes back and forth. The images show the focus is spot on (same as using AF-S) so I haven't been too concerned with it.

Rich

Am I right to say that with the D7100, when I am above 300 then I am equivalent to shooting between 450 and 600mm so at those focal lengths, the slightest amount of movement would make the focus change and be unstable correct?

Am I right to say that with the D7100, when I am above 300 then I am equivalent to shooting between 450 and 600mm so at those focal lengths, the slightest amount of movement would make the focus change and be unstable correct?

Yes and no. 400mm on your 80-400 is no different than 400mm on your 70-200 + TC-20. Whatever works for you with the later ought to work for the former. I hate to say it but given Nikon's recent QC history I wouldn't be surprised if there is a problem with your lens.

Yes and no. 400mm on your 80-400 is no different than 400mm on your 70-200 + TC-20. Whatever works for you with the later ought to work for the former. I hate to say it but given Nikon's recent QC history I wouldn't be surprised if there is a problem with your lens.

Agreed. Just to be sure, you could mount the lens on a tripod and test this on a stationary subject.

What are your images showing you? Can you see an obvious difference in focus between the same shot in AF-C vs AF-S?

What are your images showing you? Can you see an obvious difference in focus between the same shot in AF-C vs AF-S?

Subjectively, the photos in the AF-S appear to be slightly sharper.
I have never had a Nikon lens do this before. I just don't trust this copy and am going to exchange it. My old 80-400 gives sharper images than this new one, but the colors on this new one are better.

Subjectively, the photos in the AF-S appear to be slightly sharper.
I have never had a Nikon lens do this before. I just don't trust this copy and am going to exchange it. My old 80-400 gives sharper images than this new one, but the colors on this new one are better.

I will be interested to see if your next copy exhibits the same behavior. I'm going to pay a little more attention to mine now. As I said I noticed that behavior before but didn't think it was affecting the images at all. I don't recall seeing this with other lenses either. Maybe others can comment on seeing this or not.

I have been shooting with both the old and the new 80-400 lens and in my case the focus is quick and accurate on both the S and the C modes. The focus is much faster on the new lens.

Photographing seagulls flying past my balcony the new lens nailed the focus every time while the old lens not so much. The focus motor was too slow to keep up with the birds.

As for sharpness, the new lens is significantly sharper than the old lens. both using focal and in real life shooting.

The problems you are having seem to indicate either the lens or the body are having problems and should be checked out by Nikon. Or if you can, return it and try for a better copy.

cheers,
alexis

I will be interested to see if your next copy exhibits the same behavior. I'm going to pay a little more attention to mine now. As I said I noticed that behavior before but didn't think it was affecting the images at all. I don't recall seeing this with other lenses either. Maybe others can comment on seeing this or not.

I'll report back. The new lens should be here in a few days.

I have been shooting with both the old and the new 80-400 lens and in my case the focus is quick and accurate on both the S and the C modes. The focus is much faster on the new lens.

Photographing seagulls flying past my balcony the new lens nailed the focus every time while the old lens not so much. The focus motor was too slow to keep up with the birds.

As for sharpness, the new lens is significantly sharper than the old lens. both using focal and in real life shooting.

The problems you are having seem to indicate either the lens or the body are having problems and should be checked out by Nikon. Or if you can, return it and try for a better copy.

cheers,
alexis

I believe it's the lens since it happens on both the D 800 and the D7100.

I'm going to wait until all the issues have been worked out with these Nikon products from now on. thanks for sharing your experience.

Real Name
Randy
Put the body on afc d9, set afc to focus only and leave it there

Afa is junk, AFS is dangerous on the new bodies because you can forget you have it set that way easier than before

My 200 f2 is acting the same way on the D7100. Maybe it's the body not the lens?

It also happens on my D800 with this lens so I lean towards a lens problem. Will see in a few days since a replacement is coming.

Put the body on afc d9, set afc to focus only and leave it there

Afa is junk, AFS is dangerous on the new bodies because you can forget you have it set that way easier than before

I will try this with the new lens.

A quick follow up.
Received my new copy of the lens and this one focuses and locks on focus much better. Has been a weekend of rain and dark days so only got to fire off a few photos. Seems much better than the first lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom