problem with shutter release

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by sbutchin, Oct 22, 2005.

1. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    I just purchased a 2nd d2h as a backup - i prefer to have the back AF button and use the shutter release as just that - for some reason i can't do that with this camera, i'm assuming something is definitely wrong and needs to go back, but thought i would post this if anyone had any insight as to the problem - if i shift the shutter release to be both focus and release, it works, but not separately - thanks for the help

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

You do have scrutinised the menus and made the correct settings there, right?

3. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    yep - af activation is set to af-on only

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

And the other settings? AF-C (a1) to FPS rate, AF-S (a2) to Release, Focus Tracking (a4) to Off, Vertical AF-ON (a8) to AF-ON? Lots of ways things can go wrong with these complex machines.

5. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    i think i just figured it out, but don't understand why - like i said i have 2 d2h's and set both the same - the backup i just got will not not let me AF and use the shutter release separate unless i set both AF-C and AF-S priority to FPS rate - even though I'm shooting in AF-C mode, it will only work if both are set to the same setting - although, my other d2h is set for AF-s priority to be focus and AF-C to be release and the shutter works fine - could this be a firmware problem? just seems quite strange to me - both cameras are version 2.0

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I no longer have the D2H, but I do recall AF-C and AF-S basically had to give release priority before the camera worked like I wanted to.