1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Problem with the D3 and Zeiss 100mm F2... UPDATED!!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Donzo98, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I have a weird question. I am having problems getting sharp pics using my Zeiss and D3 at distances beyond say 10 feet or so. I am shooting at F2 and I know the DOF is very thin. I have a pretty steady hand and have lots of portraits of the kids shot with the Zeiss / D3 combo. At distance it seems the camera is back focusing. How could it be in good close focus manually, but bad focus manually at distance?

Here is one... from about 5 feet away or so. F2

[​IMG]

An example at distance...

This is a crop about 66.7%. Focus was on the big R in Waverunner. It looks like the focus was on the W to me. All shots at distance seem similar to this one. F2.

[​IMG]

The autofocus seems fine as well... here is one I shot today with the 24-70 at 2.8.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
  2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

i don't get it ..it's a m/f lens, right? u either nail it or u don't, right?

3. smodak

smodak

Jun 11, 2007
    Franklin MA US
    How can the camera backfocus? It is not focussing at all? The photographer is focussion in MF, right?

4. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    A misaligned focus screen?

5. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Im not sure it not the camera. When I sent my D3 in because of a dead fuse. Nikon adjusted and tuned the whole camera:smile:. One thing I expressed to them that when using my Nikkor 800 5.6 ED-IF AIS the focus was off:confused: . And I said its not me , its just this lens. It wasnt happening with the Nikkor 600 F4 ED-IF AIS. Long story short when it came back with the focus adjusted it was now perfect with the 800. And every other lens I own. So..., Maby its time to have it looked at. Is it just this one lens?

Gregory

6. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY

Nope... two different Zeiss lenses.

Did you think the 800 was in focus when you were using it?? I mean... did the focus confirmation light come on and was the image in the viewfinder sharp??

7. rvink

rvink

Mar 21, 2006
    New Zealand
  8. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Wow... interesting reading for sure. I doubt that is the problem though. I have a Brightscreen installed in the camera (done professionally by them). I can clearly see the prism come together... and that agrees with the green dot.

Did you read the link embedded in the one you sent. Sounds like my exact issue.

9. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Yes before my D3 was tuned by Nikon the light was green and I knew that it was in focus, only it just wasnt. It was very frustrating. But its all good now. In fact I just got home from the canal and downloaded some blue heron captures and every one is tack sharp. I thought it was the diaoptor but that wasnt it. I heard about the mirror being able to be "shimed to effect point of focus. A camera that wont focus is like a gun without bullets, useless.

Gregory

10. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Did you ask them what they did to tune the manual focus??

11. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Don: Ill look for the bill where they itemized the sevice. But right now, I got go to bed, Im doing 12 hours days and shooting after work. Ill Pm tomorrow. night

Gregory

12. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
  13. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Frankly, manual focus without a tri-pod is typically hit or miss. You may not realize it, but even a surgeon could possibly sway OOF, IMO. Put it on a tri-pod, focus accurately, snap with cable release and then see what you get. If it's OOF then, you do have a problem of some kind.

14. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Don,

1) put it on a tripod
    2) Focus manually as you see it sharp
    3) Use LiveView in tripod mode with 10x enlargement to check if it is really sharp. If there is a difference, then your viewfinder is out of focus - professionally replaced or not.

kind regards, Andy

15. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Dropped off the camera at Nikon today... described the problem in detail (with pics on CD). We will see what happens... :biggrin:

16. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Picked up my camera today from Nikon... it is FIXED perfectly. Here are two shots... one pre and one post fix. These are both crops... not 100%, but about 50% or so. Both are handheld, both processed the exact same way. In both shots I used my split prism screen and focus confirmation dot. Look at the difference.. Focus was on the big R in Waverunner...

For all you guys who said it was user error... I guess it wasn't. :biggrin::biggrin:. Way BETTER now!!!

Pre...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    Nice :smile: What ended up being the problem?

18. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    No idea... I upgraded the buffer too...

Here is what they did...

RPL memory compression
    RPL shutter mechanism
    RPL connector FPC
    RPL rubber grip
    RPL rewind side rubber
    ADJ autofocus operation
    CLN CCD
    CKD communication
    General check and clean

19. Wow Don, tat is AMAZING!!! Really does make you wonder, eh?

20. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Yup... I agree!! Nice talking to you today Gretch!! :smile::smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.