Problem with the D3 and Zeiss 100mm F2... UPDATED!!

I have a weird question. I am having problems getting sharp pics using my Zeiss and D3 at distances beyond say 10 feet or so. I am shooting at F2 and I know the DOF is very thin. I have a pretty steady hand and have lots of portraits of the kids shot with the Zeiss / D3 combo. At distance it seems the camera is back focusing. How could it be in good close focus manually, but bad focus manually at distance?

Here is one... from about 5 feet away or so. F2

ZeissD.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

An example at distance...

This is a crop about 66.7%. Focus was on the big R in Waverunner. It looks like the focus was on the W to me. All shots at distance seem similar to this one. F2.

OOF.jpg

The autofocus seems fine as well... here is one I shot today with the 24-70 at 2.8.

DD3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nuteshack

i don't get it ..it's a m/f lens, right? u either nail it or u don't, right?

Im not sure it not the camera. When I sent my D3 in because of a dead fuse. Nikon adjusted and tuned the whole camera:smile:. One thing I expressed to them that when using my Nikkor 800 5.6 ED-IF AIS the focus was off:confused:. And I said its not me , its just this lens. It wasnt happening with the Nikkor 600 F4 ED-IF AIS. Long story short when it came back with the focus adjusted it was now perfect with the 800. And every other lens I own. So..., Maby its time to have it looked at. Is it just this one lens?

Gregory

Im not sure it not the camera. When I sent my D3 in because of a dead fuse. Nikon adjusted and tuned the whole camera:smile:. One thing I expressed to them that when using my Nikkor 800 5.6 ED-IF AIS the focus was off:confused:. And I said its not me , its just this lens. It wasnt happening with the Nikkor 600 F4 ED-IF AIS. Long story short when it came back with the focus adjusted it was now perfect with the 800. And every other lens I own. So..., Maby its time to have it looked at. Is it just this one lens?

Gregory

Nope... two different Zeiss lenses.

Did you think the 800 was in focus when you were using it?? I mean... did the focus confirmation light come on and was the image in the viewfinder sharp??

Don, you may need to adjust the diopter setting on the viewfinder: http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/free/FocusAccuracy/Diopter.html

Wow... interesting reading for sure. I doubt that is the problem though. I have a Brightscreen installed in the camera (done professionally by them). I can clearly see the prism come together... and that agrees with the green dot.

Did you read the link embedded in the one you sent. Sounds like my exact issue.

Yes before my D3 was tuned by Nikon the light was green and I knew that it was in focus, only it just wasnt. It was very frustrating. But its all good now. In fact I just got home from the canal and downloaded some blue heron captures and every one is tack sharp. I thought it was the diaoptor but that wasnt it. I heard about the mirror being able to be "shimed to effect point of focus. A camera that wont focus is like a gun without bullets, useless.

Gregory

Yes before my D3 was tuned by Nikon the light was green and I knew that it was in focus, only it just wasnt. It was very frustrating. But its all good now. In fact I just got home from the canal and downloaded some blue heron captures and every one is tack sharp. I thought it was the diaoptor but that wasnt it. I heard about the mirror being able to be "shimed to effect point of focus. A camera that wont focus is like a gun without bullets, useless.

Gregory

Did you ask them what they did to tune the manual focus??

Don: Ill look for the bill where they itemized the sevice. But right now, I got go to bed, Im doing 12 hours days and shooting after work. Ill Pm tomorrow. night

Gregory

Frankly, manual focus without a tri-pod is typically hit or miss. You may not realize it, but even a surgeon could possibly sway OOF, IMO. Put it on a tri-pod, focus accurately, snap with cable release and then see what you get. If it's OOF then, you do have a problem of some kind.

Don,

1) put it on a tripod
2) Focus manually as you see it sharp
3) Use LiveView in tripod mode with 10x enlargement to check if it is really sharp. If there is a difference, then your viewfinder is out of focus - professionally replaced or not.

kind regards, Andy

Dropped off the camera at Nikon today... described the problem in detail (with pics on CD). We will see what happens... :biggrin:

Picked up my camera today from Nikon... it is FIXED perfectly. Here are two shots... one pre and one post fix. These are both crops... not 100%, but about 50% or so. Both are handheld, both processed the exact same way. In both shots I used my split prism screen and focus confirmation dot. Look at the difference.. Focus was on the big R in Waverunner...

For all you guys who said it was user error... I guess it wasn't. :biggrin::biggrin:. Way BETTER now!!!

Pre...

OOF.jpg

NZ1%20copy.jpg

Nice :smile: What ended up being the problem?

No idea... I upgraded the buffer too...

Here is what they did...

RPL memory compression
RPL shutter mechanism
RPL connector FPC
RPL rubber grip
RPL rewind side rubber
ADJ autofocus operation
CLN CCD
CKD communication
General check and clean

Latest threads