1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Problem with used Nikon 28-105

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by bharada, Oct 3, 2008.

1. bharada

bharada

May 25, 2006
    SF Bay Area, CA
    So after reading all the rave reviews of this lens on I decided to pick one up off of ebay to use on my D700. It arrived today and have to agree that it is a wonderful lens...sharp with a very useful macro mode.

However, I soon discovered that I can not get it to open up to f/3.5 at 28mm. The widest it will meter at is f/4.5. I dismounted the lens and moved the little aperture lever. It moves fully to the left, opening up the iris. And the aperture ring turns fully to the 3.5 mark under the green dot.

So is there something I can check on the lens before requesting a refund from the seller? I've already cleaned the contact with some 91% alcohol.

TIA

2. I had a bit of a problem with mine too, the only solution I found was to try to move the lens slightly so that the contacts on the lens definitely hit the receptors on the body - not an ideal solution but I haven't had any real issues with it as I don't tend to shoot wide open at the shorter focal length.

3. bharada

bharada

May 25, 2006
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Thanks for the tip, but the lens mounts solidly on the D700 and has no wiggle room to adjust.

4. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Make sure you rack the focus out to infinity.

5. bharada

bharada

May 25, 2006
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Leif,
    Just tried racking the focus ring from near to infinity (lock-to-lock) in macro and non-macro mode. Still only get f/4.5 at 28mm.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm contacting the seller to arrange a refund. If it were my own lens that had this failure happen to I might just live with it, but there's no sense in handicapping myself from the start in a new (for me) purchase.

6. For this lens, max aperture won't change based on focusing distance. If you're in aperture priority or manual mode and can't access f/3.5 at 28mm, there's something wrong with the camera or the lens. If all of your other lenses work properly, the problem is with the 28-105. Ebay is a dumping ground for faulty gear, and sometimes it's difficult get a refund, even if the seller warranted the lens. Good luck with the return and in finding a better copy.

7. bharada

bharada

May 25, 2006
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I'll wait and see what the seller's response is to my request. The item was sold with an "as is" tag, but described as in excellent working condition. With that in mind I would not try to get a refund for cosmetic issues, or even if I didn't think the lens was tack-sharp. But I do think it should be fully functional. And not being able to reach its full aperture range is not fully functional.

I just may end up with a very rare Nikon 28-105mm f/4.5 lens. :rolleyes:  But let's hope it doesn't come down to that.

8. bharada

bharada

May 25, 2006
    SF Bay Area, CA
    The seller has agreed to a refund on the lens. She bought it used and is not very experienced with photo equipment so didn't realize the problem existed.

It's always nice to deal with good ebay sellers. :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.