1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Problems at Flickr and Now Where to Go??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OHcorgis, Jul 10, 2008.

1. I have enjoyed the camaraderie at some of the Flickr boards. I thought it a good place to backup some of my photos just in case all of my drives crash:eek:  But the situation is getting out of hand on the site. I understand about having your photos copped, but Yahoo is just giving them away and now makes a claim that they "own" all the photos uploaded to Flickr. Perhaps a typo? But emails to flickr are not answered anymore.

My subscription will be coming due I believe in a couple months. All I wanted was a place to upload my photos to make it easy to post to sights like Nikon Cafe and to share photos with friends. I tried SmugMug for a year. That site I found was too cumbersome to upload and configure folders, etc.

So my question is, what sites do people prefer online to keep their photos that make it easy to post here and other sites that require a link? Or, how would I link a photo say from my personal website to Nikon Cafe? I've tried using urls, but that does not work.

I have not tried Nikon's My PictureTown. I see people using PBase a lot. Does that site give you a link to use for posting on other pages?

2. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Where did you see Yahoo or Flickr state that they own your photos? Heather Champ, community manager, has always stated that Flickr doesn't own the photos, the users do.

Could this be a misunderstanding?

3. " I understand about having your photos copped, but Yahoo is just giving them away and now makes a claim that they "own" all the photos uploaded to Flickr. Perhaps a typo?"

They own them?! I guess i should reread the fine print. Damn corporations!! Good luck on your search.

josh

4. I would also be interested in finding out where they have said that?

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Smugmug is a good place. They're offering 50% off a year subscription for people fleeing flickr. Just sign up and use flickr as the coupon code to redeem the 50%.

6. jslice

jslice Guest

Zenfloio

You might also try Zenfolio.com.

7. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    photobucket is really easy too and gives you one click copy/paste of IMG code for multiple pictures

which is way awesome for posting in forums

8. Hemigod

Hemigod

Jan 12, 2008
    Anchorage
    Yahoo doesnt claim they own your photos.

This is right from their ToS

Yahoo! does not claim ownership of Content you submit or make available for inclusion on the Service. However, with respect to Content you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Service, you grant Yahoo! the following worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive license(s), as applicable:
    • With respect to Content you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of Yahoo! Groups, the license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Service solely for the purposes of providing and promoting the specific Yahoo! Group to which such Content was submitted or made available. This license exists only for as long as you elect to continue to include such Content on the Service and will terminate at the time you remove or Yahoo! removes such Content from the Service.
    • With respect to photos, graphics, audio or video you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Service other than Yahoo! Groups, the license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publicly perform and publicly display such Content on the Service solely for the purpose for which such Content was submitted or made available. This license exists only for as long as you elect to continue to include such Content on the Service and will terminate at the time you remove or Yahoo! removes such Content from the Service.
    • With respect to Content other than photos, graphics, audio or video you submit or make available for inclusion on publicly accessible areas of the Service other than Yahoo! Groups, the perpetual, irrevocable and fully sublicensable license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and publicly display such Content (in whole or in part) and to incorporate such Content into other works in any format or medium now known or later developed.

9. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Try Smugmug again. I love it and think it's simple to upload pics.

10. Hemigod

Hemigod

Jan 12, 2008
    Anchorage
    They also have a specific copyright clause in their ToS

NOTICE AND PROCEDURE FOR MAKING CLAIMS OF COPYRIGHT OR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY INFRINGEMENT
    Yahoo! respects the intellectual property of others, and we ask our users to do the same. Yahoo! may, in appropriate circumstances and at its discretion, disable and/or terminate the accounts of users who may be repeat infringers. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, or your intellectual property rights have been otherwise violated, please provide Yahoo!'s Copyright Agent the following information:
    • an electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright or other intellectual property interest;
    • a description of the copyrighted work or other intellectual property that you claim has been infringed;
    • a description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on the site;
    • your address, telephone number, and email address;
    • a statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
    • a statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your Notice is accurate and that you are the copyright or intellectual property owner or authorized to act on the copyright or intellectual property owner's behalf.
    Yahoo!'s Agent for Notice of claims of copyright or other intellectual property infringement can be reached as follows:
    By mail:
    Copyright Agent
    c/o Yahoo! Inc.
    701 First Avenue
    Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    By phone: (408) 349-5080
    By fax: (408) 349-7821
    By email: copyright@yahoo-inc.com

11. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    This thread shouldn't exist. Yahoo! has never said they own your images and most likely never will. Quite the contrary. They have always stated that your images are yours... if you want them publicly licensed you can do so.

The only thing making flickr have some issues is the fact that their API is open and you can write software that reads images (even "All Rights Reserved" public ones). Even so, there is nothing people can do with flickr they can't do with any of the other sites. If your images are viewable, they can be taken.

12. SmugMug

They have changed the site up a lot. I am very stupid but have no problem navigating and uploading pics.

13. jafo

jafo

Jun 11, 2008
    Chatsworth, CA
    They don't own your photos. You do. That's why you get to specify every image's copyright level. And soon you'll be able to SELL your photos on Flickr. They wouldn't let you sell something they own, would they? :) 

14. Here is the latest:

http://thomashawk.com/2008/07/yahoo-and-getty-strike-deal-to-sell.html

Did I misunderstand something?

15. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    So basically they're saying:
    1. submit your picture to group x, and we might use it to advertise group x.
    2. Submit your picture elsewhere (for instance in a forum) and we might use it to advertise that forum.
    3. Submit anything else than images, audio or video and you're giving us the rights to reproduce it.
    I suspect that the last condition has been put there to prevent people from spamming the forums with advertisements and what not.

What I don't see is anything that resembles "we have the right to do anything what we want with any of your pictures".

But keep in mind, I'm not a lawyer.

16. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Ah, yes. It's not that Flickr sells these pictures themselves. They're allowing Getty to buy them from you:

17. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem

Even that problem can be resolved using the tools provided by Flickr. No API app can access my photos unless I specifically authorize it. You just have to turn on the paranoid settings to protect yourself from API bandits.

18. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem

Yes, you did. If they deem your photo worthy of a sale, they will contact you. If you wish, Flickr will let you opt out of this completely so you won't even have your photos viewed or considered by Getty.

19. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Zenfolio hands down. You can visit mine from my signature below. It's incredible easy to create folders and maintain.

20. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    +1 for zenfolio.

I'm no professional but it allows you to link people to printing lab (which I do at cost) or take protection off so they can download the original large files - good if I've taken photos with friends - no messing around emailing pics etc

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.