Problems streaming with AirPlay

Jim, do you have a chromecast or a Roku? How were you streaming your weekly opera to your old TV?

Thanks, Mitchell. I do have both an Apple TV device and a Roku stick, and I can stream to both of those with no problems. But streaming to the TV directly is supposed to work and does work with my iPhone. It would be more convenient than using the other devices. But I can watch whatever I want to through one of the other devices.

I just hate to have a feature I paid for that doesn't work. :(

Thanks, Mitchell. I do have both an Apple TV device and a Roku stick, and I can stream to both of those with no problems. But streaming to the TV directly is supposed to work and does work with my iPhone. It would be more convenient than using the other devices. But I can watch whatever I want to through one of the other devices.

I just hate to have a feature I paid for that doesn't work. :(

Agreed.

It seems obvious at this point that your TV software is the issue. Hopefully the software update will solve your problem.

My cheap TCL Roku TV must have recently updated it's software. I now have airplay and never had that option before.

TV software is up to date. The Sony Tech Support person thinks that since it works file with my iPhone, it must be the computer that's at fault.
My money is on a Sony Android TV issue.
Other TV series have received further software upgrades and are on 6.50.
A major update was scheduled for last autumn but did not make it your model.
Fingers crossed that itwill be released in the near future.

Last edited:
Hey Jim - If you have not already checked your sound preferences on the Mac, you may need to select the Sony TV for output. Airplay devices should show up below the items that are physically connected to your MacBook.

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 9.13.26 AM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Problem is solved at last. Apple Tech Support suggested simply disconnecting the TV from the power for at least a minute and trying again. That worked!

I'm sure I had tried that step before with no effect. Maybe I didn't leave it off long enough.

I'm surprised Sony Tech Support didn't suggest that last week.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry over that solution!

Those were my sentiments. I've had this new TV since Dec. 22, and had tried Airplay streaming directly to the set numerous times and could never get sound. Over that period I have disconnected it from power several times to correct other problems. But that never fixed the sound problem until today.

There must be some memory chips that retain information for several seconds, so leaving it off for at least a minute is required in order to have the desired effect.

Years ago my mother had some kind of internet appliance -- I've forgotten the name of it now [OK, it was called an I-Opener ] -- and one day she ran into problems with it getting online. The standard solution was for her to unplug it for a few minutes and then plug it back in, and lo and behold everything worked properly again. I tried to explain to her how resetting/rebooting an electronic device can really make all the difference but she never really understood, didn't grasp the concept, and really didn't care. She just unplugged the thing when she was having issues and smiled with relief when she plugged it back in again and it worked as expected......

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom