Problems testing a D70

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by LynnTX, Aug 28, 2008.

1. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    I just rec'd a D70 yesterday. It appeared to be in excellent condition.

I have been testing it and I thought all looked good until I tried to upload a view images this morning to my work compurter. After connecting via USB cable and turning the camera on, the computer did not detect the USB connection at all.

I have loaded images from my D40 a couple of times, even though I don't have any special software at work. It always recognized the images and I uploaded to Picasa.

I set the USB file default to "mass storage", which is what the manual suggested.

Am I missing something painfully obvious to anyone, on why 2 different computers do not recognize the camera as another drive source?

Lynn:confused:

\

2. Lynn,

Did you switch on the computer first, connected the camera (in "off" mode) via USB directly to a USB on your computer (don't use USB hubs or USB connections at the keyboard) and than switched on the camera? It's important to follow this order, otherwise the computer might not detect the camera.

Another question: I always use either external or internal card readers to copy photos onto the computer; never used the camera to do it since this is way slower.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

3. I just tested it using my D70. The camera worked perfectly and the computer detected the camera without problems. So, you might also check the USB cable and the connection.

4. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    Test D70

I tried a "new" USB cable that had not even been used. Computer cannot detect the camera.

I don't have a card reader with me at work. When I get home I will try to upload using the card reader. I suspect the USB connector on the side of the camera is "dead". Everything else about the camera seems to be working just fine. The pins don't look bent or damaged, or even dirty. Puzzling.

Don't mean to whine. Just trying to see what works, and what doesn't. Everything looks fine on the camera's LCD. The display shows I could take 1,000+ images on the Ultra II 2G CF card. I had menu set to JPEG Large files. If it will work with a card reader, I will just be thankful everything else works o.k. The display is on the small side, so I wanted to see the images on the larger monitor just to see how good the images really were.

Lynn

5. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    Achieved reasonable results!

Yep, it's me again.

When I got home, I put the CF card into a card reader and the system immediately recognized it as another drive. I uploaded the test shots and they looked very good.

I had no return agreement when I bought the camera and am not inclined to ask for anything. So long as the card is put in a card reader, it works just fine and loads fast. In all other respects the camera seems to be in great working order.

I have decided to give it to my son this weekend and let him start snapping pictures of our 3 month old grandkids. According to the display, when shooting in Large JPEG format, you can get about 1,000 shots on the 2G card, so he shouldn't have to load more than a couple of times a week anyway, if that much.

Even after the 2G Ultra II card and the new card reader, I only have about $350 in the camera and it takes great pics. I also picked up an extra battery from KEH as I wasn't sure how good the one in the camera was going to be. It seems to be operating just fine so he is good to go. The 18-55 kit lens works great on this camera.

Regards,
    Lynn

6. JCole

JCole Guest

If you're using WindowsXP you should be using PTP for the USB settings. Try that and it should see the D70. Also what program are you using to transfer images from the camera to your computer? Look at page 165 of the downloadable manual for the D70 from Nikon USA. Start by turning the camera off hooking it up and then turning the camera on after changing the USB setting.

7. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    Testing D70

Thanks Jeff,
    I'll give that a try tomorrow when I have time.
    If that doesn't work, the card reader will do the job.

Lynn

8. JCole

JCole Guest

Hope it helps, I'm going off of memory and the online manual. I sold my D70 two years ago to get the D200. At the time PictureProject was the included program for transfer, now it might be better to use Nikon Transfer and ViewNX for raw conversion if you're not shooting jpegs. First time you go to transfer it might take a few moments for Windows to recognize the camera.

9. Good to hear that the camera works.

I fear there might be a problem with the camera's USB port. I just tried my camera on a XP computer with mass storage and PTP settings. Both work (the manual also says you might use both settings with XP).

As long as the camera works I wouldn't bother.

10. lovemy8514

lovemy8514 Guest

11. Lynn, I have had this same problem with my D70s for a long time now. It used to connect when I first bought it, and that's what I used till I bought a card reader. But now that I have several card readers, and they are easy to take with me, I'm not concerned about connecting my camera to the computer. But, you are not the only one with this problem :smile:

12. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    Firmware

I checked the firmware, it was 2.0 so I think it is good to go.

I'm not disapointed at all. I gave the camera and accessories to my son today and he was very excited. They had been making do with a small kodak P/S. With new twins at home, I knew they didn't have it in their budget to upgrade to a better camera right now, so I just wanted to help out.

It's all good,

Lynn

13. JCole

JCole Guest

So the PTP setting didn't work either:frown:

14. LynnTX

LynnTX

Jun 23, 2008
    Texas
    USB Issue

Nope: I just moved on and told my son to use the card reader.

Lynn

15. atrawick

atrawick Guest

My D70 does the same. sometimes it will show the folders and no info. then i just use a cardreader and done.

16. Let me tell you, for the price you got yourself a bargain. Amazing the punishment these little cameras can take. I have seen them going for more than 60k actuations.
    I have the D70S that I bought used. Basically they are the same camera. I am very happy with the quality of mine and it has become my favorite camera when I travel. I have many beautiful enlargements from its files.
    Congratulations.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.