1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Problems Transferring photos from XQD card to IPad

Discussion in 'Nikon Z Mirrorless Forum' started by ejg1890, Dec 5, 2018.

1. So I have received my Z6 and taken a few test pictures. My plan and workflow is to transfer photos to my ipad. I then import the photos to Lightroom mobile where the photos are then synced to the cloud. Today I received the apple lightning to USB camera adapter as well as the Sony XQD USB Adapter (this is not the Sony XQD card reader). I was thinking this permits me to transfer photos to the ipad. However, once plugging everything into my MBP I receive the message “Cannot use accessory. This accessory requires too much power”. Any thoughts how I can get the photos to the ipad? The adapter will probably permit me to load directly to the MBP; however, I have yet to try it.

I use my camera a lot when I am away from home so loading to the ipad is important so I dont need to take the MBP where ever I go. Is the XQD card reader the correct option? What is the difference between the two products? Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

2. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw

Feb 12, 2018
    Is this the USB3 adapter or just the USB camera adapter? The USB 3 adapter also has a lightning port next to to it to allow it to be plugged in to power devices that require more power than the lightning cable can power. I am having a problem with a portable DAC for music and will need to get the lightning to USB 3 adapter in order to use it with my iphone.

Canadian link to the lightning to USB 3 adapter
    Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

3. I had the USB Camera adapter. I will have to try the USB 3. This will have nowhere the convenience I had previously as I will now be required to plug into some sort of power device thats not always accessible when you are mobile.

4. weerterbos

weerterbos

Feb 11, 2016
    Might try to power with a USB powerbank. I did not test this, so do know if it works, but I think it's worth a try. If it works, it's kinda portable still.

5. Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  6. Cslucas34

Cslucas34

Oct 8, 2018
    I have a question; do you have a full CC subscription? If not and you are only using the free version... then you can only use the JPG files if I remember correctly. If this is the case, you can wirelessly transfer them to the iPad from the Z series with SnapBridge. Full size JPGs.

I use several devices for post processing but when I’m on the go and I don’t have my MacBook to use xqd reader, I use this method when I need an immediate edit.

If your using Raw files and you want to edit on iPad... I can’t help with the transfer bit (I airdrop them once I load onto my MacBook). If you need more editing power; until Adobe releases their full version of photoshop on iOS, you can check out Affinity photo on the iPad. It’s a pretty powerful editing tool and super easy to pick up and learn. Works great with the Apple Pencil .

7. Yes I bought the QDA-SB1 and that camera adapter. I plugged the camera adapter into the QDA-SB1 directly. There is a cable that came with the QDA but I didnt use it.

8. I have the full version. This is the workflow I have used for almost 2 years. I have had no problem loading nef files on to the iPad Pro with SDHC cards. I would use those but the Nikon Z’s are XQD only.

9. I am still working out how to transfer files from the QXD or camera to either the computer or preferable my ipad.

There are several other options I am considering one of them is using a USB-C to lightning cable to transfer to the ipad. This would directly transfer from the camera. Does anyone use this method? How long does it take? Is that a Z7 or z6? I do have a Z6. I would prefer not as it would drain the battery.

Thanks

10. I am still working out how to transfer files from the QXD or camera to either the computer or preferable my ipad.

There are several other options I am considering one of them is using a USB-C to lightning cable to transfer to the ipad. This would directly transfer from the camera. Does anyone use this method? How long does it take? Is that a Z7 or z6? I do have a Z6. I would prefer not as it would drain the battery.

Thanks

11. Are you trying to download your pictures to "Photos"? If so is the program open on the iPad when you plug in the adaptor? What are you trying to download, Raw or Jpeg?

12. I down load RAW files into photos. Then I import into Lightroom Mobile. Its a process I have done now for at least 2 years. The message I receive now with the XQD card reader is there's not enough power. I even spoke with several individuals at B&H, while people have transferred via SD card, no one has yet asked to do that with XQD

13. Actually good to hear Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter provides some options. I placed an online order at Walmart earlier today for this adapter and along with a cable to USB-C to USB to provide the power. That is the next option. The order's ready and will pick it up tonight on the way home. I will let you know how it works.

14. Good catch Walter.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. Finally got it to work with the Lightning to USB 3 worked. However a direct cable from the camera to the ipad did not work.

16. I don’t currently have an iPad, but I’ve been thinking about getting one. I also recently purchased a D500, but right now I’m using SD cards and have not purchased an XQD card yet. But since I’m sure I will this thread has been very interesting to me. But I’m not sure I understand what ended up working for you. Could you please post a picture of the setup and say again what equipment you use? Thanks!

17. Regarding the iPad Pro 9.7 (several years old; the latest versions may be different) you need several items:
    1. Lightning to USB 3 camera adapter; NOT the Lightning to USB camera adapter that will NOT work, The USB 3 includes a USB-C port for power
    2. Sony QDA-SB1 XQD USB Adapter
    3. USB to lightning cable - the same cable that comes with the recent iphone models
    The steps are as follows:
    1. plug the lightning to USB 3 camera adapter into the IPad
    2. Plug the USB to lightning cable in the the USB 3 adapter (lightning port on the adapter). Use the charging block that comes with the ipad at the USB end to power the setup.
    3. Attached the Sony QDA-SB1 to the USB port on the USB 3 adapter
    4. Insert the QXD card.

Now you are able to import to iPad photos.
    NOTE/Warning: The photos app on the ipad is currently not able to read (viewable) the Z7/6 NEF files. However, the files are loaded to the ipad without issues. The files can be imported to Lightroom Mobile which is able to read the Z7/6 NEF files without any issues so they can be viewed.

I hope that helps.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  18. Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.