Problems with MS RAW Viewer

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by jklofft, Jul 27, 2005.

1. <rant on>

The MS Raw View is a piece of cr@p. I innocently installed it a few weeks back. I didn’t like it so I uninstalled it before I went on vacation. When I returned, I started to post-process the photographs and I’m getting all of these file lock errors (can’t move or delete files). At first it was a minor nuisance. I needed to use this utility and reboot to delete some of the temp files. But then I noticed that some of the files that I thought I was editing were not being saved (and no error message for either NC or PSCS). So I had to go back and recheck everything. Since I’m reasonably technically sophisticated (I used to be a software developer) I downloaded the process explorer to see what was happening. I appeared that the Windows Explorer was holding the files open. I found this very strange and started investigating. It appears that the MS Raw Viewer did not uninstall itself properly (again, no error message when that occurred). So I needed to remove the remaining components manually. Finally I’m back to normal. What a pain.

<rant off>

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I noticed the same problem with that utility holding file locks. Also it's performance seemed pretty crappy, apparently the programmers didn't understand the concept of a read-ahead cache. Fortunately the uninstall seemed to work for me and I haven't had any problems since. (Except for an occasional file lock problem between CS2 and Bridge but that's another matter).

3. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    What did you expect from M$???? Quality? Full-functioning software? You, and everyone who bought it are Beta-testers....

4. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    No one bought it...it's free.