Problems with my D70.

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Neeper, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Hey Guys,

I am having some issues with my D70. It won't fire as fast as it used to. Once I get the focus beep, the shutter won't click. I kinda have to hold it a longer, than it goes off. But sometimes it doesn't, and I have to press the shutter again. Anyone have a problem like this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I haven't heard of this before but it sounds like your D70 needs a trip to Nikon....:confused:

3. I thought it might be a memory issue as well. As it seems the buffer isn't fast enough. But... I haven't changed the cards. I am still using the same cards I always have been. I wonder if it's an internal buffer issue.

4. It may be related to the internal buffer and the way data is sent to the card. But I think the best fix is to find the most compatible card. Before buying a new card, you may benefit from a reformat. Put your card into a card reader connected to you computer and do a full up format, not a quick format. This is known to fix some problems of this type. I wonder if anyone has had this type of problem on other Nikon DSLRs.

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Johnny :

Could you have reset your camera to focus priority for shutter release ? That could account for the delay, even if you've had an initial focus lock but then the subject moves...

John P.

6. HardBall

HardBall Guest

The only time I've experienced this was when using the built in flash- then it acts exactly as you described.

I assume you were NOT using the flash though...

7. Remember that you CF card is no different than any other disk drive. To completely resolve if it may be the card I would do two things. First would be to do a Full Format of the card on your PC. If it is XP it will format FAT32 by default, if not, change the tab when you format to be FAT32. This will clear up any fragmentation, corruprtion or bad sectors that may have shown up. A good thing to do every once in a while just for grins.

Second thing would be to try a different freshly formatted card, for comparison.

And, of course, check the focus priority setting as noted in the thread.

Good luck, let us know the outcome.

8. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Try these things:
    1-Be sure Long Exposure NR is turned OFF (in MENU). This really slows down both the D70 and the D70s but NOT the D2X.
    2-Turn D70 off, remove lens, inspect and clean contacts on lens and body. If you have a 2nd lens, test the lens with the D70 before cleaning contacts to troubleshoot whether problem is in the D70 or in the lens
    3-Be sure you have sufficient light
    4-Keep flash off during this test
    5-If you cannot prove the body is at fault, send the D70 and lens to Nikon to be tested as a set.
    6-Good Luck!