Problems with streaming to Apple TV

I'm no expert, and even though my house is fully wired with multiple data points in every room, I also use Ubiquiti access points located in a couple of locations for mobile and smart devices which are not suited for hardwire. As others have noted it could be interference from devices in your home, or another WiFi setup in close proximity on the same channels you're using, it could also be due an IP address conflict with devices using the same IP address.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Last evening I started getting the sound dropout as soon as I started the opera streaming. I stopped it, restarted the modem/router and my computer and tried again. This time it worked perfectly, no problems through the whole opera for the first time in weeks.

Also it requires a 4th gen Apple TV.
The 3rd Gen ones did not have an Apple store.
They are not technically garbage as they do still work but are obsolete dead end products.
I still use two of them (out of 5) but will replace them with the latest Gen soon.
The 3rd generation is the only one that has an optical audio output which I need for my bluetooth hearing aid adapter. I won't be upgrading for that reason.

I'm sorry if I gave out bad info, Jim. I'm certainly no expert. I don't restart my system every week, but if I do have a hiccup it's where I start. I have no intention of changing my Internet Provider, though. They have been fabulous to work with. I have 1GB up and down on a fiberoptic line, so we have excellent service. I do suspect that I need a new router, though. Mine is getting to be a few years old and I am thinking about a new one. I wonder what router tenplanescrashing would recommend. Hope you get your problem solved.
1gbps up/down fiber is fantastic and uses an ONT modem which you don't have to worry about. That means if you're restarting your router your router needs to be replaced. Years ago a restart of your router was common place. Nowadays, it isn't. Get a good quality router or mesh network set up vs. the $80 off the shelf at Target and you'd be good to go.

I don't think you gave bad information. On the contrary, your suggestion fixed my problem last night as you see from my post above.
Similar response to yours...restarting your router is not the answer. Good quality hardware is.

Restart = bandaid
Quality hardware = solution

1gbps up/down fiber is fantastic and uses an ONT modem which you don't have to worry about. That means if you're restarting your router your router needs to be replaced. Years ago a restart of your router was common place. Nowadays, it isn't. Get a good quality router or mesh network set up vs. the $80 off the shelf at Target and you'd be good to go.
My router is a more expensive Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900 that I bought a few years ago. I see that they actually still sell it. I've been researching mesh systems, but am not sure which one is right for me. As for my internet service, our city has done something unusual and ground breaking. You might be interested in this article. We own our fiberoptic cable. We paid $3000 for it which we are paying for in installments for 20 years. We then pay the city $16.50 a month for maintenance and the ISP $9.99 a month for 1GB up and down unlimited data. It's a great deal. Ends up to be about $50 a month. My neighborhood was the first one that they installed fiber in so those of us who chose to do so where the guinea pigs. But it paid off. https://www.fastcompany.com/9041686...r-optic-network-in-america-might-surprise-you

Wow, some bad info in here.
1. You don't need to rent Comcast's modem if you have their landline service, completely false. You will have to get their modem to keep the landline service but you shouldn't need to pay for it. You can have a separate modem for internet and you should.
I don't see how to do that. Using a separate modem would require splitting the signal coming fro the street yet again (it is already split three ways) which doesn't sound like a good idea. And using the Comcast modem/router in order to get phone service means it is broadcasting a wifi signal which would interfere with that from a new router.

2. Internet speeds aren't the same as network speeds. You're streaming content from the internet to your laptop, then streaming it back through the network through wifi to the apple tv.
I have absolutely no internet problems except for streaming to Apple TV from my laptop. Everything else works perfectly.

3. Wifi extenders/repeaters are mostly garbage. Save for maybe a simple smart bulb or switch that just needs internet connectivity.
What do you mean by a "simple smart bulb or switch"?

If I was to guess with the limited amount of info here, i'd say you have 2 issues: comcast's hardware (i'm going to guess yours is a little older) and interference/signal degradation. You mentioned hardware being upstairs and you're downstairs and i'd guess your house is older...all issues for hardware that is already struggling. Too much interference that prevents a consistent stream. Of course, all speculation based on the limited info.
What difference does the age of the house make? For the record, it is coming up on 33 years.

You might be interested in this article. We own our fiberoptic cable. We paid $3000 for it which we are paying for in installments for 20 years. We then pay the city $16.50 a month for maintenance and the ISP $9.99 a month for 1GB up and down unlimited data. It's a great deal. Ends up to be about $50 a month. My neighborhood was the first one that they installed fiber in so those of us who chose to do so where the guinea pigs. But it paid off. https://www.fastcompany.com/9041686...r-optic-network-in-america-might-surprise-you
Wow. That sounds ideal and perhaps the wave of the future. Lucky you.

Giving up our fiber internet is a factor in our decision making.
I can see why. We are very fortunate to get fast internet service where we live. We are well out of town up on a mountain adjacent to the Jefferson National Forest. There are about 100 houses in our development with minimum 5 acre tracts for each home, so the houses are quite scattered.

I can see why. We are very fortunate to get fast internet service where we live. We are well out of town up on a mountain adjacent to the Jefferson National Forest. There are about 100 houses in our development with minimum 5 acre tracts for each home, so the houses are quite scattered.
Yes. You are lucky to have the service you do living in a more remote area.

For a little background, i've worked in the telecom industry for 9+ years, specifically in this industry Xfinity is in.

I don't see how to do that. Using a separate modem would require splitting the signal coming fro the street yet again (it is already split three ways) which doesn't sound like a good idea. And using the Comcast modem/router in order to get phone service means it is broadcasting a wifi signal which would interfere with that from a new router.
As long as you're not doing splits after splits after splits, it's not much of an issue. Most homes can handle up to 6 outlets without any special hardware.

The device you have today is trying to handle 3 tasks and do them well. For most users, it can. For you, it probably is. But it will always be the bottleneck in your system. I shy away from "all in one" devices of any type. If you were to separate these, you'd have 3 separate devices: 1 phone modem for home phone service (comcast provided, likely be the same box you have today), 1 internet modem (you buy) and 1 router (you buy). If you went this route, only the router would be broadcasting the wifi signal as the phone modem would no longer need to (the radio would get turned off).

For reference, you can have multiple wifi devices sending multiple signals in the same location on different channels and there wouldn't be an issue but I only state that for clarification to your point, not specific to your set up.

I have absolutely no internet problems except for streaming to Apple TV from my laptop. Everything else works perfectly.
Correct. Your issue isn't external, it's internal. Internal data transfer has ZERO to do with your internet speeds but still uses that equipment from your ISP. Your laptop isn't connected to the apple TV and vise versa, they're both connected to your router. So the bits of data are traveling like this:
Internet --> modem/router --> laptop --> modem/router --> apple tv

You say this is your only connectivity issue which means the issue is either:
--Your laptop (unlikely)
--Your apple tv (unlikely)
--Your router (most likely)
--Interference/signal degradation in your home (maybe, but i'd put more money on the router)

What do you mean by a "simple smart bulb or switch"?
This was in relation to the wifi repeater piece. They are not reliable for connecting anything that requires a constant connection/signal. Smart bulbs or switches that connect via wifi don't need very much to stay connected and send/receive data. Installing a wifi repeater just to reach a device like this is fine. Installing one to stream netflix to a tv/laptop is not recommended. Typically, if someone asks, I tell them to stay away from repeaters. Look at a mesh network with dedicated backhaul radio or install another access point closer to that part of the home.

What difference does the age of the house make? For the record, it is coming up on 33 years.
Building materials, structure, layout, etc. Older houses have building materials that affect wifi signals because they didn't have wifi back then. A 33 year old house is relatively new so i'd rule that out.

There are a lot of misconceptions about "the internet" in how it works in your home and there are many factors that go into how you get it, how it is distributed, what causes it to not work, what causes it from degrading, and so on. It's not like getting electricity yet people thing it's a similar utility.

My router is a more expensive Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900 that I bought a few years ago. I see that they actually still sell it. I've been researching mesh systems, but am not sure which one is right for me. As for my internet service, our city has done something unusual and ground breaking. You might be interested in this article. We own our fiberoptic cable. We paid $3000 for it which we are paying for in installments for 20 years. We then pay the city $16.50 a month for maintenance and the ISP $9.99 a month for 1GB up and down unlimited data. It's a great deal. Ends up to be about $50 a month. My neighborhood was the first one that they installed fiber in so those of us who chose to do so where the guinea pigs. But it paid off. https://www.fastcompany.com/9041686...r-optic-network-in-america-might-surprise-you
I'm not a netgear fan (they're the kings of "reboot to fix") but the nighthawk AC1900 is a highly regarded device. If you're considering a mesh network, we can start a new thread about it.

I wish more municipalities would do fiber like yours is, that's awesome, i'm jealous.

I'm not a netgear fan (they're the kings of "reboot to fix") but the nighthawk AC1900 is a highly regarded device. If you're considering a mesh network, we can start a new thread about it.

I wish more municipalities would do fiber like yours is, that's awesome, i'm jealous.
I am leaving on vacation in a few days. Maybe I will start a thread about it when I get home. We are working quite well most of the time, so I don't have an urgent issue to address.

Fascinating read. I'd heard about this project but for some reason I thought this was in Star or one of those fast growing little towns outside Boise.

Older houses have building materials that affect wifi signals because they didn't have wifi back then.
I'm not a netgear fan (they're the kings of "reboot to fix")
True they may be, but our 87 year old house (brick, plaster and lath) 2 stories with a basement is well served by a 5-year old Netgear Router and puny little Apple Express (8 years old). Never, ever have we needed to do a reboot.
The only place where our signal is unreliable is out on the patio, where it has to beam through the kitchen and all of its equipment. My wife and I have our offices upstairs and have no complaints.

Real Name
Ken St John
Jim

I've also seen this same kind of issue with my ATV 4k's and HD's, iPhone XR, Mesh Network and a 300mb Comcast line ... I think it's basically pushing a lot of info over a simultaneous wifi (radio) connection. Probably, in the long run, there's no perfect solution. However, I have found the following helps:

1) A lot of folks that stream things are REALLY using YouTube embedded in their websites. If so, can you get the YouTube app and watch directly on the ATV?

2) On your phone or iPad, try to reset the network settings (General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings). After this is done, you'll need to rename your device to what it was (the reset process renames it to just "iPhone" or "iPad". You can change it by going to General -> About -> Name) and login into your wifi again. I've found that this often clears a ton of issues, both with your own network at home but on the cell network as well!!

Hope this helps.

Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom