Problems with streaming to Apple TV

Since the CV shutdown started my wife and I spend most evenings watching operas or concerts streamed from the Metropolitan Opera or Berlin Philharmonic web sites. I stream them from my MacBook Pro to my 3rd-generation Apple TV box.

Unfortunately about every 10 minutes I start getting freezing picture and sound dropouts for 30 seconds or so. It sounds almost like it has run out of buffered content and is waiting for more data to download.

I have a fast internet connection, so I don't know what the problem is. Any suggestions?

Have you unplugged everything and turned it back on? I often have to turn off everything that is connected to my router. I then turn off the router and the modem. Start with turning the modem back on, then the router, and then everything else one at a time. You've probably done that, but it never hurts to mention it. Also, is your router fairly new?

Have you unplugged everything and turned it back on? I often have to turn off everything that is connected to my router. I then turn off the router and the modem. Start with turning the modem back on, then the router, and then everything else one at a time. You've probably done that, but it never hurts to mention it. Also, is your router fairly new?

Thanks for the suggestions, Terri. I have thought of doing that several times, but hate to interrupt the program to go upstairs and do all of that. But maybe I should.

We have a combination modem/router which we rent from Comcast, our cable/internet provider. We have to use theirs because we also get our "landline" phone service through them.

But your post does suggest to me another idea. We have two iMacs connected to that router directly through ethernet cables. Perhaps they are occasionally draining bandwidth with some automated processes. Tonight I'm going to try shutting them down before starting the evening program.

Thanks for the suggestions, Terri. I have thought of doing that several times, but hate to interrupt the program to go upstairs and do all of that. But maybe I should.

We have a combination modem/router which we rent from Comcast, our cable/internet provider. We have to use theirs because we also get our "landline" phone service through them.

But your post does suggest to me another idea. We have two iMacs connected to that router directly through ethernet cables. Perhaps they are occasionally draining bandwidth with some automated processes. Tonight I'm going to try shutting them down before starting the evening program.
My internet service provider said that you should shut everything down and restart it once a week. I don't do that, but whenever we have a problem it's the first thing I do. Unless there is an outage, it has always fixed the problem. It might be good to do it when you aren't watching a program as a preventative measure. I unplug the apple tv during the process. Then plug it back in to restart it.

With separate floors, a wifi extender may be helpful. What does your ISP recommend?

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I second checking your wifi connectivity. Weaker signals can cost you speed. Wifi, like old school modems, negotiate a speed based on quality of signal strength. If you could connect a hard wire to your internet modem, that would insure the best speed for you. Also, is there a way to use an app on your Apple TV to stream directly vs using AirPlay from the laptop? Using AirPlay, you are crossing thin air twice - once for laptop wifi, and again from laptop to Apple TV.

Real Name
Randy
the extenders are a huge help and inexpensive, they are small and just plug into power and you forget about them, our downstairs TV connects to the extender (which is also downstairs).

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
If you are using wifi it could be an appliance that chucks out interference. The most likely is your refrigerator. Try turning it off for an hour and see if that helps. Or perhaps a neighbour using the same wifi channel. Cabled connections are always best.

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 3.09.52 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

With download speeds like that is there still a chance that an extender would be of any help?

If you are using wifi it could be an appliance that chucks out interference. The most likely is your refrigerator. Try turning it off for an hour and see if that helps. Or perhaps a neighbour using the same wifi channel. Cabled connections are always best.

It can't be a neighbor. They are too far away. The refrigerator could be the culprit. I am streaming from the kitchen and the computer sits about six feet away from the fridge. The modem/router is in the room directly above on the second floor.

If you could connect a hard wire to your internet modem, that would insure the best speed for you. Also, is there a way to use an app on your Apple TV to stream directly vs using AirPlay from the laptop? Using AirPlay, you are crossing thin air twice - once for laptop wifi, and again from laptop to Apple TV.

A hardwired connection to the router is not possible given the layout of the house. And these streaming services require a web browser, which is not possible on the Apple TV box or my Roku device. On the one or two occasions I have streamed a movie on one of those devices it worked fine...never a glitch.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
And these streaming services require a web browser, which is not possible on the Apple TV box or my Roku device. On the one or two occasions I have streamed a movie on one of those devices it worked fine...never a glitch.
Some streaming services have an app for Apple TV so you can run their app on Apple TV. Apple TV has an app store. If your streaming service doesn't offer one, then you are stuck with AirPlay.

Some streaming services have an app for Apple TV so you can run their app on Apple TV. Apple TV has an app store. If your streaming service doesn't offer one, then you are stuck with AirPlay.

I'll check, but I seriously doubt that the Metropolitan Opera or the Berlin Philharmonic would have an iOS app.

D

Deleted member 4116

Wow, some bad info in here.
1. You don't need to rent Comcast's modem if you have their landline service, completely false. You will have to get their modem to keep the landline service but you shouldn't need to pay for it. You can have a separate modem for internet and you should.
2. Internet speeds aren't the same as network speeds. You're streaming content from the internet to your laptop, then streaming it back through the network through wifi to the apple tv.
3. Wifi extenders/repeaters are mostly garbage. Save for maybe a simple smart bulb or switch that just needs internet connectivity.
4. You should never have to disconnect devices from your network or reboot your devices unless you're doing firmware updates. Once a week? If your ISP is telling you that, get rid of them and/or their hardware.

If I was to guess with the limited amount of info here, i'd say you have 2 issues: comcast's hardware (i'm going to guess yours is a little older) and interference/signal degradation. You mentioned hardware being upstairs and you're downstairs and i'd guess your house is older...all issues for hardware that is already struggling. Too much interference that prevents a consistent stream. Of course, all speculation based on the limited info.

For reference, I have 200mbps internet from comcast and have had my own modem for 5 years now. I redid my network 3 years ago with Ubiquiti's Unifi system because I also had hardware that couldn't keep up. I am now on my work computer on calls/video constantly while my wife is on video calls as well and the kids doing their school stuff on ipads while streaming music and download/uploading assets to our web servers and not a hiccup at all. It helps that the hardware i'm using is prosumer grade and not consumer grade. Consumer grade equipment is just horrendous these days.

I'm sorry if I gave out bad info, Jim. I'm certainly no expert. I don't restart my system every week, but if I do have a hiccup it's where I start. I have no intention of changing my Internet Provider, though. They have been fabulous to work with. I have 1GB up and down on a fiberoptic line, so we have excellent service. I do suspect that I need a new router, though. Mine is getting to be a few years old and I am thinking about a new one. I wonder what router tenplanescrashing would recommend. Hope you get your problem solved.

Also it requires a 4th gen Apple TV.
The 3rd Gen ones did not have an Apple store.
They are not technically garbage as they do still work but are obsolete dead end products.
I still use two of them (out of 5) but will replace them with the latest Gen soon.

Also it requires a 4th gen Apple TV.
The 3rd Gen ones did not have an Apple store.
They are not technically garbage as they do still work but are obsolete dead end products.
I still use two of them (out of 5) but will replace them with the latest Gen soon.
I have replaced mine. I just couldn’t remember which generation had the App Store. They are expensive but nice.

Latest threads

Top Bottom