Problems with Topaz

After reading the rave reviews on this forum and being impressed with the results I saw, I purchased Topaz "Clarity" last Friday. I like the results I have been getting, but the software is frequently unresponsive and crashes often. I have sent three inquiries to Topaz Labs tech Support, and have gotten no response.

Has anyone else been having problems?

I am running it on an i5 iMac with 16GB Ram, through PS CS5.

This is my first Topaz product.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Pa,

Occasionally over the years I've had a problem installing Topaz s/w. But I've never experienced crashes due to the software. Topaz has always been responsive, albeit a day or so to get back to me.

Have you tried their FAQ's and help section regarding downloading problems. I've often found answers there.

Pa,

Occasionally over the years I've had a problem installing Topaz s/w. But I've never experienced crashes due to the software. Topaz has always been responsive, albeit a day or so to get back to me.

Have you tried their FAQ's and help section regarding downloading problems. I've often found answers there.

Thanks, Karen. The FAQ simply says to uninstall, download and reinstall. I've done that, and it doesn't help.

Pa, are you using it with a 32 or 64bit OS? When I ran Topaz Adjust on a 32bit system, it was almost guaranteed to crash on 16bit files, especially as RAM filled up. From what I could see from analyzing the crashes, it was a memory management issue for which there was no cure save a Topaz rewrite of their crappy software.

Nik, OTOH, has nearly flawless 32bit memory management (as does the cursed Adobe). At any rate, no problems with Topaz on my end now that it has Win8-64 and 32GB to play with.

I usually have installation problems but have not yet experienced a crash. Support typically responds within a day or so. It could well be that Clarity has caused more difficulties than anticipated with a consequent exhaustion of support resources. It seems the program has met with an abundance of positive reviews from independent professionals (based on the videos and commentaries I have observed) as a state of the art plug-in, more so than anticipated.

Jim - Sorry to hear you're having problems. I've tried out the Topaz in PS and it works with no problems. I also opened up their free fusion software and it opens right up in LR. Good luck getting the problem resolved.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I'm pretty certain it's 64-bit, but how can I tell?

Control Panel/System. It says it next to System Type.
While you are at it, tell us what the operating system is called. And how much memory you have in the computer. All this information is on that screen.

There is no doubt that several flaky bits of software run much better in 64 bit systems with plenty of memory. The reason is that they can have various sorts of memory misuse (e.g. not releasing memory) and still keep working.

Control Panel/System. It says it next to System Type.
While you are at it, tell us what the operating system is called. And how much memory you have in the computer. All this information is on that screen.

There is no doubt that several flaky bits of software run much better in 64 bit systems with plenty of memory. The reason is that they can have various sorts of memory misuse (e.g. not releasing memory) and still keep working.

Please read my first post:

I am running it on an i5 iMac with 16GB Ram, through PS CS5.

Mac OSX doesn't have "Control Panel". :wink:

I have gotten some help from Topaz. My problems were with their installed presets. It seems that to get them to respond, one must be careful to click in the precise center of the preset bar icon. That will apparently be fixed in a future release.

They haven't explained the crashes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim - Left click on start in the lower left hand corner. Then right click on computer in the right column. Scroll down to properties and left click on that and a screen will open that gives you information on your operating system including whether it is 64 bit or 32 bit.

Jim - Left click on start in the lower left hand corner. Then right click on computer in the right column. Scroll down to properties and left click on that and a screen will open that gives you information on your operating system including whether it is 64 bit or 32 bit.

Thanks for trying, John, but remember this is a Mac, not a PC.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom