Proceedure for Warranty Service?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Czechman01, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Most of the focus sensors on my D2X (except the center and the one directly below it) either front or back focus, but just enough to show up on a focus test. They have no obvious affect on my shooting, but I figure I paid a kings ransom for this thing so I'm sending it to New York for repair.

What's the process for obtaining Warranty Service? Do I have to call first, do I include a copy of my receipt and warranty or do they want the originals?

If someone would give me the basics for obtaining warranty service, I'd appreciate it. In 25 years of shooting with Nikon gear, this is the first time I've ever had an issue that needs repairing... of course I've never owned anything even remotely as complex as this camera, so I'm not complaining.

Woody

2. Hi Woody,

Here's the link for NikonUSA service info: http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?goingto=inc_service

Here's NikonUSA's instructions for documentation and shipping: http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/Nikon_Inc.pdf

You don' t need to contact Nikon prior to sending in your camera for repair. Your problem doesn't sound like something they could fix with a few written instructions. I once sent them an email detailing a focus problem; they responded 6 days later advising me to send in the camera. Save yourself a week and just send off the camera to Nikon.

Let me just add that Nikon Melville made me a happy camper when problems arose with 2 of my digital SLRs.

Good luck.

Glenn

3. ButchWilson

ButchWilson

Jul 4, 2005
    Hello Woody,

Make sure you contact them at least once a day, sometimes it's just to past the time,but you can get your repair status updated daily. Expect long turn around times on the D2x at Melville.

Good luck.

4. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    Let us know if they fix your problem. I just sent my D2x back a second time for the same issue. I sent my lens as well. The first time, they claimed it was within spec and didn't do anything. This time, I'm going to be more insistant that they fix it.

5. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Is there any need to send the camera in with a battery and CF card and lens or does one leave them at home ? If there is a focus issue , does one have to send in the exact lens with which the problem occurs ? Mine is on the way too on next Monday, for the clock problem and the eventually demise.

6. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    Nikon recommends only sending the camera itself (and lens if needed). Remove the strap, battery, CF card, etc. and don't use the original box.

7. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Oh, thanks Ruffles. DIdnt think about the belt. Will do as suggested.