Processing light

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by RayGuselli, Dec 17, 2005.

1. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi

Took some shots today and am processing a few.

I thought that the light here had some potential and have been playing with it.

Here is a before and after.

As always, advice, help and criticism always appreciated.

Best wishes

Ray

Before

[​IMG]

Processed
    [​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ray,
    Your origingal gave you alot to work with. Lots of good light and shadow areas and nice lines.

Good job processing. Wall hanger worthy :>))))

Took forever to load for some reason though. Doesn't usually.
    Guess it is time to do a HDD clean up again :<( here.

3. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Hi Ray,

Well you sure dealt with the low contrast "problem" in this one. To be honest I would prefer the second one with a tad less contrast, but it's all a personal matter and I sure as heck know one of yours when I see it. I know from experience that you welcome alternatives, so I'm going to try this one.

Regards

4. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    OK! Here it is.

[​IMG]

Slug away.

Regards

5. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi John - your advice

As always - I do welcome help and criticism and which from you is always constructive and helpful.

So.....I reduced the contrast in selected areas and left it where the light was - do you think this works better or would you do a global drop of the contrast?

Many thanks for your input John - appreciated.

All the best

Ray

Selective Contrast Adjustments

[​IMG]

6. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    John - posts crossed!!!!!

Hi John

I like what you have done - it is less "in your face" (my style:biggrin: )

It still brings out the lighing better than the original and is a good take on the original.

Got to say the original looks weak now afrer the procesed versions.

I do like what you have done very much and appreciate you taking the time to help.

Very best wishes

Ray

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ray leave yours alone.
    That is YOUR style and I love it :>)))

Not saying other renditions are not good.

But yours is yours.

Prob would make a nice painting also.

Another images with many faces :>))))

8. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Gale

Hi Gale

You are so kind.

Yes, I suppose I have to learn that my style is my style and it will not appeal totally to everyone.

I suppose that being so new to this I am trying to take on board every single comment and bit of advice. which I do appreciate.

However, I suppose that I must learn to accept that at some point I must leave my image as is.

However, just to say that you have been so kind and supportive whilts viewing my posts it is so much appreciated and encouraging.

Very best wishes

Ray

9. Hi Ray

I like the scene and I like your first rendition, it looks like a pic from a story book. Now don't take that the wrong way it's just the only way I know how to describe it (I don't think you will, but just in case). Since I really don't know what the heck you are doing, or at least how, it's hard to offer anything constructive but I'll try. I think the shadows are a little too dark and give away too much detail, I just ain't sure you can fix that without taking away the feeling of the pic as you have done it. So far I like the feeling of your first "edit" the best.

10. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks Ralph

Your comments are appreciated.

I think pulling the shadows back is possible but I think as Gale has said it is a style.

I would probably lose that feel to the processing if I did.

However, I do appreciate your comments and thank you very much for posting.

Very best wishes

Ray

11. PixelPete

PixelPete Guest

Hi Ray,I like what you've done. Considering the bland orginal is a vast improvement.I especially like the greens that are broken up with different borders,colors etc.

12. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Hi Ray,

I like your new version better only because it brings out a little of the lost detail, especially in the shadows. It still retains that Ray Guselli Zip and trademark appearance.

Where do you live? Somewhere in the British Isles? This scene has that look to me.

Regards

13. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi John

Nice to hear from you. I really appreciate the comments because I know I ammott woth processing but can see the merit in pulling back as per the second shot.

I now like bot, the first being more unreal whereas the second could actually be - if you know wat I mean!

I was born in London in 1948 and lived there until I was 15.

I then moved with my parents to a little place called Barrow in Furness.

I am right by the sea, about 5 minute drive and about 20 minutes from the Lake District.

That shot was taken about 10 minutes drive away and I have another couple I am going to process and post of a lighthouse - about 5 miles inland!

It is a lovely part of the world but the weathjer is not always as kind as yesterday and today.

We get a lot of rain - being near the Lakes.

However, when sunny, it is spectacular.

I don't actually get a lot of shooting in and tend to lurk in dpreview retouching forum mesing with shots others have taken. Been "playing" since December last year and love it - great hobby and made some super friends.

Shame was are all so far dispersed - we should have a Nikon Cafe and DPreview annual meeting!

I tend to spend time with my litle girl, Maria who is 5. I have posted some shots of her before and she came along late in life for us ( didn't get married until late) and sadly, as you may know she had cancer - very bad prognosis - but, she has battled through and is doing fabulous. Suffered horrendous surgery and chemo but she is a real fighter.

Taking her to see Father Christmas today on a train in the Lakes - and it is a lovely day..... hopefully will get some shots!

How about you John - any story to tell?

All the best

Ray

14. Ray, since I'm a fan of your work and have been for some time, I'm glad I caught this before it slipped away - nice knowing a little about you and your daughter. I agree that the Retouch forum on DPreview and this forum are the best going and intend to visit both often. I hope your daughter continues to do well - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family.:smile:

15. Holy crap. I'd love to be able to process my images that well. Goodness.

16. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Justin

Many thanks for your message.

YOU CAN!!!!:wink:

I started last December - I thought PHOTOSHOP was where I took my pictures to get them developed!:wink:

Before finding this great site I lived in the the retouching forum at Dpreview and watched and read as much as I could.

I soon gave processing a try and got, as I do here, enormous help and advice from others. This forum and the other mentioned are incredible sources of information an dhelp:_

So, let me be the first to say, if I can help you in any way drop me an e mail.

If you have a shot you want processed send it to me.

I can then return a PSD file for you with the layers and details of what was done.

If you want to take that up Justin - happy to help.

Best wishes

Ray

17. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Hi Ray

I was sorry to hear about your daughter but today they can do so much more than years ago. Although sometimes the cure seems worse than the disease.

You asked me to add a personal note. First, I can refer you to the message I sent upon joining NikonCafe. It is at

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?p=507986#post507986

I was born on July 13, 1931 and when I was six, contracted Scarlet Fever. Since antibiotics were unknown then all they could do was put you in the hospital, hope you survived the initial high fever, then keep you in quarantine in the hospital for another 30 days. Parents were only allowed to stand in the ward doorway and wave. This was over Christmas. Nowadays they have a shot for it, but even if it happens I understand the modern antibiotics can take care of it quickly.

I live in southern New Jersey, near Philadelphia where I was born and raised. We have 4 children and 7 grandchildren, two of whom are in college and the youngest 16 months.

I worked in many different ways at RCA corp. from co-op student to consultant for about 12 years. But my main occupation was on the faculty of a University in Philadelphia for 40 years teaching mathematics and also computer architecture in the latter years. Have had a couple of heart attacks ('95 and '99). So, in 1995 you better believe I underwent a large life style change Ha!

Now I sit on my backside working with PhotoShop, wishing I could sell all my first class darkroom equipment. Sigh...

Regards

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  18. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi John

Nice to hear from you - you too had your troubles I see with the fever - obviously well behind you now.

Heart attacks - not good eh!

Boy, I suppose you do sit back when that happens.

Hope yopu are ok now.

John, thought of e bay as a means of selling your gear. So many seem to d so now with success.

Anyway, look forward to meeting again in Nikon Cafe.

Very best wishes

Ray

19. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    Hi Ray,

I love what you did with the picture. Could you please explain what pp you did to achieve this.

Excellent work. I like the second version with less contrast more.

Best regards,

Timur

20. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Timur

I would be happy to explain.

I seem to have a set workflow now so here goes.

Create adjustment layer for levels and pull the left rgb in and also pull the right back

Then to individuals - red channel a little to the left

Blue chanel a little to the right

The adjust curves adjustment layer to taste - I tend to like to darken as I can lighten later with paint with light.

Then layer for saturation and up a little to taste.

The layer for contrat etc - to taste

The see where you want light and use the PWL action from atncentral.com courtesy of the great guy - Chip Springer (he is a genius!)

Then duplicate layer and set to either overlay or multiply and adjust opacity.

Then create mask to paint out areas you do not want to affect.

Then I often flatten image and start again until I get the look I want.

Hope that helps a little.

If you need moere help just e mail and I will try to help.

Best wishes

Ray