Processing photos on notebooks

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by cknight, Dec 6, 2005.

1. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    To those of you that do a lot of photo processing on notebooks - how well can you pp the pics on the LCD screen? Mine is really sharp, but he contrast changed with the viewing angle. Is there an easy way to make sure you're looking at the screen at the right angle?

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Chris,
    I am trying to process on an LCD..On a PC... I see huge noise and blur.

I am having a horrible time. I have really no clue what looks like what. Don't even know if color or color, or if a color cast is there...
    I can not afford a mechanical calibrator. Which I understand one needs.
    I can sure understand wht you must be wondering.

Guess I will have to buy another CRT.. arrrrggg. Can't afford that either.

What a mess.

I don't know what to do....So I am not processing or posting now.

Sure hope it is not that bad for you.

Will sure wait for advise.

3. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I hope you get things figured out Gale.
    Currently my PC is attached to a CRT, but I've thought about getting a LCD monitor for it.
    But the contrast notebook screens changes as the angle changes. Makes it hard to adjust things right. My notebook screen, and most LCD screens I've seen for that matter, are pretty sharp. The color problems I can understand, but I'm surprised your's is blurry.

4. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Most laptops do not have wide view or flexview screens.
    So even if you have your screen calibrated you will need to tilt it for the
    proper view.

Now adobe has a half baked calibration tool.which you can try.
    Now how do you know?

Well as a sort of help if you are not color blind is to use two photos
    that I use to give me an idea.
    You can find them at

http://imageevent.com/gwen/samples;jsessionid=f43phm00j1.tiger_s

Pick the Color Checker and the Test file.
    That and one or two others will show what or close to you have.
    Tilt your screen until they are bright.

As to LCD monitor, I have a ViewSonic 21.3 I think. Model VP211b
    which comes with a calibrated screen.
    However I still use Optical Spyder to calibrate my IBM Flexview LCD screens.

5. Cherokee

Cherokee

Nov 27, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey War Eagle,..... and all other ships at sea,
    the fact to consider here is that notebook screens simply are not suitable for editing. I suggest you hook that laptop to a larger monitor, as Chris has done, and get on with your life.
    Here are some things to consider:
    There are some excellent, large LCD monitors available. Sony and Apple offer some "studio" monitors that are amazing, but are MAJOR investments. A good CRT - the largest that will fit on your desk - is still a good way to go. It is higher in resolution and lower in cost. That is what I am currently using.
    But be aware that the monitor industry is moving away from CRT production and toward LCD. Over the next 2-3 years, CRTs may become extinct. So do you jump now or later? Only you can make that decision and I wish you well.
    Robert

6. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Chris, what I do is take an image which I know is correct on my desktop, and then compare it to what I see on my lap top. I then adjust my lap top screen to make the image look like the one on the desktop. I keep a few known brightness images on the lap top, look at them and adjust the screen before working on new images on the lap top. I spend months away from home at a time, and I have to use the lap top to process images. I've found I can do so with a fair amount of accuracy, and reliability.

7. I had to use my Toshiba 17 " widescreen laptop for editing because my main computer was down for a while....and the two sons at home are never off their own computers for me to access...
    I really didn't notice that great a difference between the 19 " CRT and the 17" laptop....But then again I'm green-brown colour blind....so take that with a grain of salt
    Recently I have had both of them as well as the lcd at worked calibrated using Monaco optix pro.

Bob

8. Get a Vaio. The LCDs are both pre-profiled and very accurate; the new x-Black screens are better yet. I have a 2004 Vaio Z1 that serves me just fine; enough to open ten D2x RAWs in PSCS and still move acceptibly quickly. Best of all, the 14" screen is 1400x1050px! :biggrin:

Ming

9. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

I have been using IBM ThinkPads [ now Lenova ] with 15 inch, fleview, 1600 x 1200 screens for quite some time now for all of my processing.

I also use a Viewsonic Vb211b LCD monitor for group viewing.

Yes there are many notebooks on the market,
    But many can not cut the mustard.

10. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Hi Gale,

All is not lost! The Greytag Macbeth Eye 1 sells for about $250, and your notebook CAN be calibrated well enough. The most important aspect is setting your screen's luminosity correctly. Notebook screens are overly bright and any processing you perform will be totally out of whack unless you've set the luminosity correctly.

When you are processing, insure your viewing angle is square with the screen and things should work out well enough. I use a Toshiba Qosmio 17" notebook when I'm in the field and can process an image as well as I can on my desktop. Hope this helps..:smile:

11. My new Dell 700M has a wide-angle viewing screen. VERY nice display .............. albeit a bit small to do a lot of work on. I use this computer for my lightweight travel. My old 8200 (boat anchor) laptop is for home use only.

JohnG

12. I use a laptop for most of my processing and prefer it to my 21" CRT, but mostly because the CRT is just flat out terribly calibrated...

13. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Try this site:

http://members.aol.com/wa8lmf/screencal/coreltstcard.htm

Also, I got 2 free photos from one of the online photo printers to compare with their web site photos - I can't remember the name of the company but I'll look for it.....