processing thoughts

Messing with different methods with HDR and revisited fusion in photomatix. What look do you prefer.

Neither photo has added saturation so its interesting to see how each method handles the colors

1. Fused - I think it is overall a cleaner look and closer to a single exposure look, but its difficult to pull out the details as much

5634979120_c32566055d_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. detail enhancer - like the name says it really pulls out detail and texture but at a price, photomatix finger prints are a lot more visible here

5634986588_87495b7527_b.jpg

I like #1 better for the same reason I exclusively use Fusion in Photomatix - the result looks much more natural. Great shot, BTW.

thanks everyone for commenting.

I do find it odd how the tonemapped image gives people the overdone feeling when the colors and tones are a bit more subtle. The detail is more in #2, but is that the reason it feels processed. I think photomatix just gives a certain look that people associate with a processed look. I find it more obvious in landscape shots then in indoor or city shots.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Well - I think I'd like something in between #1 and #2.

Here's what I do sometimes with Topaz s/w. In CS5, I flatten all layers. Then "save as" as new file. Then I dupe the background layer and apply the desired Topaz filter. Then I adjust the opacity of the layer used for Topaz to get just the right amount of adjustment I want.

Can you do something similar to back off the effect of #2 just a little?

I have a secret when merging the frames:

I like Fusion during the day or some light.
And Tone Mapping at night.

This usually works best for me.

.....as for your set, the 1st looks natural and best IMO.

Mysh,
I like #1 It looks more natural

The detail enhancer gives the pic a bit of a "digital" look, almost computer animated.

Great photos!!!

BTW, thanks to you I spent another 70 bucks!!!
I had to go buy Photomatrix after seeing your shots!:rolleyes:

I need to learn to do this. Using one of the brackets or a different edit and then with layers blending to soften the digital look of tonemapping.
I think calling it digital is a good way to put it Razz. Normally you can put your finger on the item you want to back off of, but with hdr its alittle trickier. I wouldn't say #2 has too much contrast or saturation, or sharpness. It just has that look that photomatix often introduces to shots.

Razz you won't regret the $70, its a fun and diverse program. So many say it overcooks but it can do both, depending on the user.

Well - I think I'd like something in between #1 and #2.

Here's what I do sometimes with Topaz s/w. In CS5, I flatten all layers. Then "save as" as new file. Then I dupe the background layer and apply the desired Topaz filter. Then I adjust the opacity of the layer used for Topaz to get just the right amount of adjustment I want.

Can you do something similar to back off the effect of #2 just a little?

I understand why you would do this. I think I can get away with tonemapping easier indoors compared to outdoors

I have a secret when merging the frames:

I like Fusion during the day or some light.
And Tone Mapping at night.

This usually works best for me.

.....as for your set, the 1st looks natural and best IMO.

Not to high-jack your thread Mysh but here is my first HDR using Photomatrix....

(I posted it in the 10.5mm thread already but seems relevant here)

DSC_6423-1.gif

if that's your first its one of the best firsts i've seen.

YOu picked a great subject also

THANKS!

I didn't realize till this thread that there are other ways to process in Photomatirx.

I bought the Aperture plug in and just merged the pixs together using detail enhancer. I didn't even realized there was fusion and tone mapping button. Detail enhancer was the default.

After I merged them i saved in Aperture and post processed there.

here is single pic processed with
photomatrix.... I like it but i think it has a bit of a "computer animated" look.

DSC_6696.gif

I like a mix of both.

The person stands out more.
The rocks at front look more natural.
Surrounding area and background has more tonality and very pleasing to the eye.

Sky looks more dramatic
Rocks near center on right look a bit more natural
Water in front pops a bit more
Hut better overall exposure/detail.

Water looks good in either one, but #2 has slightly better contrast between light blue/green and dark blue/green showing what could be rocks under the surface etc.

If I had to choose between the two, I would hang #1 on my wall.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom