Product photography

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Uncle Frank, Aug 13, 2005.

1. I've picked up some repeat business from an electronics company for product shots for their data sheets and trade magazines.
    It's easy work since I bought a light tent.

The marketing manager asked if I could direct attention to a board by de-emphasizing the mother board it was plugged into. I
    didn't tell him how simple it was to pull off using layers, and he was impressed ;).

Table top work is a lot easier than events, but I like weddings better.

2. I remember when you did the earlier ones Frank. These latest shots are right on. Good even lighting and very sharp. Well done.

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Can you elaborate on the light tent for us Frank. Maybe even a link and a pic of it setup.

I also recall the previous product you photographed. I'm needing to take some similar shots of products for my company GigaParts, Inc and have considered a tent.

Thanks for sharing.

4. Excellent stuff there Frank. I'm seriously giving some thought to one of those tents, the level of light is just great. No hot spots that I can see.

The layering works well to - really makes the subject stand out.

Two questions

What is it ?

Do we all need one ?

5. It's a, unh, black box, and I sure don't need one.

6. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Hi Uncle Frank:

I'm very interested in this. I have been trying to use some white foam core boards and making a box that way. Is it possible to use these and the SB800? And if so, how and where do I place the SB800? I'm trying to take pictures of small medical equipment, stethoscopes, otoscopes etc...
    The lenses I have for this are the 60mm and the 50mm 1.8.

Thank you.

7. Don't buy a light tent, Patrick. Just send me your parts and I'll take the pictures for you. My fees are very reasonable ;).

Here's a link to the thread where I discussed the light tent.

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=7594&highlight=

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. Those are really well done UF, was it shadowless or did you have to touch up the white?

Martin

9. I had to touch it up, Martin.

10. I'd imagine so, Lisa, but darned if I know how to do it. That's why I took the easy way out and bought the light tent kit.

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots Frank. I have so much to learn. 8)