Product shots...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gho, Feb 22, 2005.

1. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Okay, I did a few product shots today. Any sugguestions on how I can make it better?

Also, I'm gonna be shooting a large product (pool table), can anyone recommend seemless paper source and stands?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Good job, Greg

If it was me, I think I'd like to see better detail on that cue stick by having it face the camera a bit more directly, since it seems to the the COI in that shot. The 2nd shot is good, but again, I'd like to see the stone lit better to bring out more detail. The last shot's good, but it makes me wonder what's on the end going out of the frame. All very nice looking shots, and these are only my personal completely uneducated opinions. I would also like to try my hand at product photography sometime soon.

Edit: Looking again at the cue, I see the nice leading lines creating by placing it diagonally in the frame. Not sure I would mess with that, BUT, it occurred to me that you could have a superimposed image of just the stick's detail in the corner somewhere. What do you think?

3. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I think your absolutely right on all accounts. I was thinking I made the stone too dark in the 2nd one, and as for the first one and the detail on the handle, it definately misses. But its more of a teaser shot. Its not supposed to be specifically for that que, but more of an intro image or whatever.

I like the insert idea though. I'll definately give it a shot.

I'll try something different with the last image and see how it turns out.

Thanks for the pointers!

4. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gregory :

I'm not a product shooter, but I would say that the light on the pool cue could run along the cue to give a more pleasing fade-out. You can always run a gradient along it if you get too much light.

John P.

5. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
  6. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Gregory,

I like the cue shot a lot. Tilt lens can be of great benefit for this kind of composition, providing independent control of angle and depth of filed.

7. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    PJohnP: I actually thought of that and tried it, but it looked pretty bad. I could turn up the strobe that lit up the rest of the cue, but I wanted more of a fade into dark feel.

Larry: thanks for the link, but that's not nearly big enough - these are about the size of a small car, & the the table needs to rest on the backdrop too.

Iliah: Thanks! Ah, just what I need - more equipment. I'll have to look into that. I've got so many lenses that I want to buy, but I've been holding off on buying stuff.