Props to Nikon Service

Well, it's been about two years since I last sent anything off to Nikon Melville and my gear needed some refreshing.

The rubber grips on both my D200 and my MB-D200 grip were peeling off. The rubber "button" (the piece you push to swivel the head) on my SB-800 had fallen off. My 70-200, while never really sharp, was at the point of being completely useless at f/2.8.

So back at the last week of March I dropped off everything and got it all back about 4 weeks later. D200, Grip, SB-800, 70-200 2.8, 20 2.8, 35 2.0, and 50 1.4. Had the rubber pieces on the body and grip replaced, fix the rubber piece on the SB-800, and take another look at the 70-200 (two years ago I brought them my 70-200 + body to calibrate - it came out better than it went in, but not by much), and do a general clean, lube, inspect on all the equipment. The only item still under warranty was the 70-200.

Gotta give it up to Nikon. My 20, 35, and 50 came back looking new and are performing better than ever. My 70-200 is the sharpest its ever been and after having that lens for almost 5 years now, this is the first time I'm really happy with it at f/2.8.

Also, I hadn't mentioned it to them because I thought it was just a limitation of the my D200, but focus tracking, especially when people are running towards or away from me has never been accurate. If I run off a burst of 15 frames of a person running straight at me .. maybe two would be acceptable (but not exactly sharp) while the rest would be totally unusable.

Today I shot a tee-ball game and got a few series of kids running towards me down the first base line (I was sitting about 10 feet behind first base right on the line) and to my surprise ... EVERY shot was bang-on.

All in all I was out the door at Nikon Melville for $208 and change which was worth it and then some for me. Considering I've got over $4K in gear (well, when new anyways) in my bag, $200 every 2 years for a tuneup isn't bad at all.

Thanks for the update on Nikon service. Reports like this relieve any anxiety I may have sending something in for service.

Its nice to hear reviews when service is good. Its far too often that only the bad stuff gets posted so people often get that uneasy feeling if/when they need to send gear off for repair/adjustment.

I've had great experiences with Nikon El Segundo. I have gear there now that I will be picking up next week and hope to continue with that experience.:smile:

Some examples of the focus tracking. While I didn't process the full set of running shots, they all came out like these - I'm EXTREMELY happy.

DSC6604.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC6656.jpg

DSC6566.jpg

was this a authorized nikon service center? im thinking about finding out how much to service my 80-200 2.8 AFD and 85 1.8

I only ever had one issue with Melville, and they took care of it right away. Having been a service manager now for 30+ years, I recognize good service and bad - and Nikon service is one of the best I have dealt with.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom