Protecting a Tripod Packed in Luggage for Air Travel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TomD., Sep 20, 2008.

1. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    I usually wrap my tripod (1325/ballhead) in clothes. I am looking to to provide more protection. I have heard of bubble wrap, pipe insulation etc.
    I decided not to spend the $$$ on padded tripod carrier.
    What do you use?
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    I bought a cheap tripod for travel if I'm just doing some casual photos. It's small enough to fit inside a roll aboard bag. The last thing I want to do is sacrifice more luggage space to the tripod.

Another thought: Send it Fedex ahead of your travel date to your hotel/location.

3. I have a very good baseball equipment bag that has a bottom comparment for bats and an upper one for the uniform, gloves and so on. On those rare occasions when I'll need a tripod (I'm a street shooter, so don't use it much)there is enough room in the bat compartment for the tripod cushioned with socks, underwear and tee-shirts, The balance of the clothes and toiletries go in the upper area. works like a champ. the bag was my sons amd came from a sporting goods store that specializes in high-end baseball equipment.

4. I doubt any tripod would need any more protection within a suitcase of clothes.

5. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

What makes you think the Baggage Throwers, erm ... Handlers won't take care of you luggage ? :confused:  :biggrin:

6. I usually just take my head off the legs and put it between the clothes - have never had an issue

7. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    same here. take off head (close clamps) and wrap head and tripod among clothes. Sometimes the head goes into a shoe... Done lots of international flights without a problem.

8. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks for all the comments.

9. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Tom,

I just had a lot of small electronics taken from my luggage, don't know about a tripod, but just letting you know to take what you can with you in carry on.

Stephanie

10. I use bubble wrap from Staples

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.