Protecting Blue Birds

Yesterday, around 10 am, I noticed a lot of agitated behavior from the two Eastern bluebirds that were nesting in a bluebird nesting box near the house. They kept diving at the box and chattering in a very unusual manner. Walking over to the box I saw a fairly large snake that was in the process of climbing the 2x4 support post. I went around the side of a utility house and picked up a metal fence post and gave him a whack. I know, I know... he's just trying to survive like all of God's other creatures, but not of these baby bluebirds if I could help it.
134436813.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So, feeling proud that I'd saved the young ones, I watched the parents resume the never ending task of feeding them. Good ending...
well, not quite.
This morning, with the first cup of coffee in hand, I walked out onto the back patio and immediately saw the same distressed parents behaving in the same manner as yesterday. At first I thought they were just still nervous, but they kept it up so I got a small step ladder and one of those little mirrors that is attached to a small telescoping handle, put it in the boxes hole and there it was. It seemed like the area was completely filled with snake.
It's been a long, long time since that much rage as come over me, but I took a deep breath and settled down. I retrieved the same fence post from it's place, came back and unlatched the box thinking one of the birds might still be alive. I raised the front lid and gently slid the end of the metal post under the snake and brought him out, still sluggish in the 50 degree temperature. Examining the nest I saw only one bird left and it was dead. That really tightened my jaws... again. That snake is no more also.
But in the end, it's my fault. I placed a bluebird house on an easily climbed pole without any predator proofing under it. The snakes are simply trying to survive and I've provided an easy meal for them. Now I'm searching the internet for ways to snake proof a bird house and there are several.
I don't want to kill any more snakes, or any other creatures, unless they are a direct threat to me or some other person.

Jarrell

I'm all for protecting Bluebird Houses and I seem to remember some plans produced by the Audubon Society. Check their local bookstore for them. I do however disagree about snakes. It is my most earnest belief in the Bible in the passage that say's the snake will forever try to bite me on the heel and I will forever try to bruise his head. These were God's words and he decreed there to always until the end of time be enmity between man and snake. I shall endeavor to eliminate them at all opportunities. To me they have NO redeeming value.

Hmmm... not so sure about that, Ken. They truly are beautiful, well evolved animals and they do have a fondness for mice and rats, disease carriers for sure. I should have captured it alive placed it in a covered bucket, put it in the truck and drove it a few miles away and released it there.
But, I didn't. I let my anger over it killing the bluebirds get in the way of reason. I just need to try and correct the problem of them getting in.
Oh, I didn't mean IN the truck but rather in the BED of the truck.. :smile: I don't drive very well with distractions going on in the cab.

Jarrell

I'm all for protecting Bluebird Houses and I seem to remember some plans produced by the Audubon Society. Check their local bookstore for them. I do however disagree about snakes. It is my most earnest belief in the Bible in the passage that say's the snake will forever try to bite me on the heel and I will forever try to bruise his head. These were God's words and he decreed there to always until the end of time be enmity between man and snake. I shall endeavor to eliminate them at all opportunities. To me they have NO redeeming value.

With all the to-do about people getting bird flu, I've never heard of anyone getting snake flu... :biggrin:

Everything has it's purpose and place.
A while back, I commented on the bird nests in a local lake. The alligators spend much of their day waiting to see if a baby bird falls out of the nests in the trees. Someone commented on how they disliked that. But a side benefit is that all of the animals who would normally try to climb the trees and get at the birds would never survive the swim out to the trees. The alligators would eat them first.

Try to protect the bird house from squirrels also. They are nothing but fuzzy tailed rats anyway.

Back in 1971 I suffered a rattlesnake bite. Even with that unpleasant experience (it takes a loooonnnggg time to recover from rattlesnake venom) I have a non-aggression pact with snakes and most other creatures.

I make an exception for biting flies. If they were to become extinct I would not shed any tears.

If you find some good plans for snake proofing (and squirrel proofing) bird houses and feeders, please share it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom