Protective Filter

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by dcamjones, Jul 8, 2018.

1. They are, but ND filters are not for everyday use as a "protective filter" (which is what the OP was asking about.

2. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    Edit: If one wants high quality optical glass filters they are available. Better?

3. If you do a GOOGLE search you should be able t find a couple of quantitative tests of so called protective filters. If I remember correctly Lens Rentals did one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    It wasn't my intention to offer an opinion on this question. I have merely shown the position that Nikon has taken by installing one in, I believe, each G or E series 200f2/300f2.8/400f2.8/500f4/600f4/800f5.6/200-400f4 and most likely the new 180-400.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  5. Replytoken

Replytoken

Jan 12, 2018
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    True, but my mind kept wandering to the edges of the filter along where the glass meets the ring. Those areas can be cleaned, but it is still a PITA.

--Ken

6. I have a Nikon NC filter on the front of each of my lenses, except the 14-24. Always have and never had an issue with image quality or damage. I do remove the NC if I'm going to use a polarizer, but otherwise they are on there full time. I think of the NC as just another part of the glass/lens design.

I would not, however, use a low quality UV/Haze or whatever as a front lens!!

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.