Protest Marches - London 03/12/11

Haven't posted for a while and haven't been out with my camera so here is the fruit of my trip to London last weekend.

Mothers March - Trafalgar Square
5520222977_2712cff10e.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5520815638_37a4faeca2.jpg

5520223647_494bb7edbc.jpg

5520223277_160b99dbe1.jpg

Free Tibet - Whitehall
5520813406_4ed39710c9.jpg

5520222147_6f18aba259.jpg

5520814254_a705cd231e.jpg

Thanks for looking :smile:

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
Kev,

IMO, the secret of shooting demonstrations is that the signs are not interesting but that the people are expressing emotion and you can catch that in the shots.

Far away shots are good to set up the idea and the perspective, then get in close and vary your angle and height to get some variety in the pictures. Note that 2,3 & 4 are pretty much the same shot - Woman holding sign - not looking at camera.

These are semi-OK, not terrible, not great. Exposure is difficult in mid-day so you need to figure that issue out.

The problem is that they are semi-boring and don't show any/much emotion or excitement.
You need at least one or two shots that really hit home, and you haven't got them.

Lew

Thanks for the feedback Lew, I was in London on a walkabout and these demos just appeared as such so its the first time I have toged such an event.

In all, I agree with what you say and thank you for that.

Real Name
Lewis Lorton
Kev,
Also IMO, the best way to get better at shooting 'street' is to shoot with someone else and then look at what they get. It will give you perspectives on what other people see.

Also, I take a lot of shots to try and catch the image I see in my mind's eye; then I cull ruthlessly to build a presentation. I look for an opening shot that sets the scene, then other shots that illustrate the setting, then a shot that is a strong closer.

I invite you to look at this set that illustrates as much as possible what I try to do. I am not saying I am terrific but I do have a process that works for me.

Just being in focus and being outside isn't enough. THe pictures have to say or mean something.

Lew

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom