1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

PS alternatives/options...

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by ShaunK, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Hey all. I just acquired a nice MBP for my school's yearbook class... I will be teaching the kids the process of taking, organizing, editing, and uploading pictures. It's the editing process I want to discuss.
    1. I could purchase an education version of PS (do they still sell standalone?). I am familiar with it, and it's mostly for the Bridge and ACR that I would want to do this, as this is the interface I prefer and use.
    2. I could donate my old, never used version of LR3 that I have sitting around, but I think that's so old it won't support newer cameras.
    3. I could buy a newer version of LR, but I have never used it and don't have the time to teach myself before teaching the kids.
    4. Alternatives? I know about Affinity Photo, I have it myself, but again, I don't know it myself. Are there any other basic, easy to use photo editors that would work to organize and lightly edit pictures? I'm pretty sure we'll have them shooting in JPEG if that makes any difference. Cost is a little bit of an issue, but I think I could argue for $100 or so for a program if it's worth it.

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Why not use Photoshop Elements. That should be within your budget, and it will teach them the basics of editing. It will also begin to teach them Photoshop, which would be very helpful to any that want to go further.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Student teacher discounts (generous?) are still available
    How to Save 70% with the New Adobe CC Student/Teacher Editions

For purely editing of images including raw have you considered The Gimp? This is free to download and use and is similar to PS.
    GIMP - Downloads

Organising and editing you may want to touch on good practices for file structure and naming without necessarily using a specific application such as LR?

All worthwhile editing programs have learning curves and you will need to spend some time learning the basics (at least be one step ahead of the kids ;) :) ).

4. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    How old are the kids ?
    Learning a mainstream app might be better than something obscure.
    If you are just teaching the process and not the app I’d consider Picasa

5. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Picasa was very good, but Picasa doesn't exist any more - Google scrapped it. They only want online systems.

6. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    The computer is a MBP so why not just use the already installed Apple Photos?

7. Big Affinity Photo fan for stacking and compositing, works great. But raw conversion is not as good as Nikon Capture or DxO.

As for catalogging and thumbnailing, I use a standalone app called NeoFinder. It lets me use the workflow I want.

8. My big problem with Photos is that Apple no longer issues independent CameraRaw updates. Now, they're built into the OS updates - forcing you to upgrade to their "latest and greatest" (no thanks) to get new camera support.

9. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Yes indeed Scott, but in the context of the brief - a recent MBP purchase and "basic, easy to use photo editors that would work to organize and lightly edit pictures? I'm pretty sure we'll have them shooting in JPEG if that makes any difference. Cost is a little bit of an issue, but I think I could argue for $100 or so for a program if it's worth it" it's hard to see a better fit for what is wanted than just using Photo. A quality product is one the meets the needs of the user and it looks like Photo does that here, but for the record, I am a long-time Mac owner, have used Photo to help out my sister, but I wouldn't dream of using it myself :) .

10. Yeah... missed the jpeg part after his mention of Bridge and ACR. Photos will definitely fit the bill, but still prefer Neofinder for culling and catalogging (much faster and no having to import to a single library bundle - where things like show in Finder is non-existent).

IIRC, the single user/catalog license is 40 bucks. He already has AP, which is a superior jpeg editor to Photos.

11. I haven't tried "Photos" after my brief experience with iPhoto years ago. Doesn't Photos want to hide your picture files so that you can't find them except through that App? That was my objection to iPhoto.

12. Thank you all. To try to hit on a few replies:
    1. Apple Photo is out, I just don't like it.
    2. I had forgotten all about Elements! That might be the best choice!
    3. Tony, thanks for the links. I had also forgotten about Gimp.
    What I really am looking for is what I'm used to: ingest through Bridge into folders we create, open and adjust in ACR (even JPEGS can be done this way). I love being able to batch edit through Bridge/ACR, as well as batch rename, and batch resize, all of which we want for what they are doing. And I love being able to create and access files on the computer through Bridge as well. Mind, this is all what I'm used to!
    4. Randy, the kids are 9th/10th graders. I'm teaching them mostly the process, but whatever method we use will involve teaching them the app as well, so that's why I'm hoping for something either familiar (Adobe minus LR) or something easy for ME to learn! :) 
    5. Scott, thanks for the Neofinder rec. I will definitely look into that!

Thank you all!

13. Shaun... have you checked out the tutorial vids for AP on Vimeo?

Affinity Photo

They're quite good, and will get you up to speed in no time. There are a lot of them so just pick the ones for the kind of things you'll be doing.

14. Keep it simple for the kids. I know I never got into Adobe programs because the idea of a 3 step workflow: Camera Raw - Lightroom - PShop, really is a pain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AP as in Apple Photo? No I haven't.

16. Hmmm, this might solve most of my query: It’s True: Adobe Bridge CC Is Completely Free for Everyone, for Life!. Do I understand from near the end of the article that Bridge comes with ACR? If that's true, then that's what we will need for 99% of what the kids do. Anything more major needing actual PS work I can easily do myself on my machine at home...

17. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Ha! Me neither ...

Next best option re bang for the buck would be Affinity Photo which you already have, as long as you can create a filing system for the images. It doesn't have a Digital Asset Management system (a.k.a. DAM) but does have a media browser that lets you access the Photo folder (nothing to do with the Photo app) so it may work.

18. Affinity Photo.

19. AP as in Affinity Photo.

20. TonyW

TonyW

Jan 15, 2010
    UK
    Not quite Bridge can read raw (from currently supported cameras) and preview raw files but cannot edit as ACR is not built into the app.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.