PS CC and LR going wonky recently?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
(FWIW - I am using a PC)

I am close to the end of a major project. I have to use both LR and PS CC extensively. Everything has been "normal" until late last night about midnight!

Suddenly I had a splash screen when trying to use PS CC. Workspace was totally different even though I selected "reset workspace" with the proper name. Tools were different. GEEZ! I spent about 15 minutes trying to get back to "normal".

This morning I opened LR and got a notice to upgrade the catalog to the newest version. Strange, since I got that notice several days ago and did it. No problem I thought. I did it again, and my catalog opened ------EMPTY! 43K ish images in my catalog and it was EMPTY.

So I navigated to the catalog saved 12/5/2020 and opened it. 43K photos. OK....I think. Later I will try to double check that nothing is missing.

Anyone else seeing odd stuff happening with PS CC and LR?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Lots of "sticky" settings are messed up....

For instance:
Crop tool is always set to keep cropped pixels. I noticed that PS was deleting cropped pixels........GRRRRRRRR!

Text tool was inserting sample Latin text? Had to find the box to turn THAT off!

LR: I had a custom filter. Now when I click on it, I get totally different columns to use as filters!

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
How annoying. It sounds as if it thought you were a new user. You were logged in as you?

It is possible to back up all one's settings, so they can be restored or copied to another user or another computer.
PS settings are here:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021
LR settings are here:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

A month or so ago ACR crashed several times and every time it was when I was doing a lot of cloning. I don't know if the cloning was causing the issue or if I was accidentally hitting some key combination that caused a problem. That happened immediately after the release of the the big version of Photoshop CC. Fortunately it hasn't happened in awhile.

Recently when using ACR's clone tool, it intermittenly will display only the area to be copied to, not the area to be copied from. Closing and reloading the program always solves the problem.

I've always had an intermittent problem with Photoshop CC that when using the Eraser tool, it simply doesn't erase. Closing and reloading the program always solves the problem.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You can reset all preferences by starting PS while holding down Alt+Ctrl+Shift and this can help if there are problems.
But of course you don't want to lose them, that's why a backup copy is good to have.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Just discovered this....

In ACR, it was defaulting to Save raw's as 8 bit!!!! Changed that back to 16 bit and Adobe Pro Photo color space!

Custom actions are gone....

As I continue to work on my project, I'm trying to double check EVERYTHING as I continue to work!

I have recorded all my settings in an Excel file. Once I get this sorted out I'll follow the instructions in Post #5.

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken
Did Creative Cloud update the versions that you were using? You could do a version rollback, but if you converted a catalog to a newer version, that new catalog is not backward compatible and any new work would be lost.

--Ken

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Did Creative Cloud update the versions that you were using? You could do a version rollback, but if you converted a catalog to a newer version, that new catalog is not backward compatible and any new work would be lost.

--Ken
I've been using PS CC and LR constantly the last week. I'm always signed in to the Creative Cloud, but usually just tells me there is a new version and then I update when I'm not doing something else. PS CC and LR are all current. So Creative Cloud could have updated while I was working.

The good news is that I was only using LR to find files and their locations. I don't use LR to process images....I ONLY use LR for it's catalog/data base feature. And that has been EXTREMELY helpful in my current project covering over 20 years of photography!

And I was "just" using PS to create preview thumbnails for Justin's 200 ish videos. So I would find a photo, re-size it for the video, put a title on it, then SAVE AS a .psd and a .jpg in a unique place on my HD. I didn't bother my own files!!! Thank goodness.

In PS I will have to re-create some custom Action and check all the Preference settings for ACR, Bridge and PS. Same with LR.....

I probably can find the actions on a prior back up I made using Macrium, but it will probably be easier to just create the actions again.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Why not double-click your most recent Macrium backup, a new disk will appear, perhaps called F: for example. Then navigate to the locations I gave you on that drive and copy those entire folders to the same places on your C: drive. Then run PS and LR again. That will have reset everything to how it was, without touching your photos or your catalog.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Will do! Thanks Richard and everyone who has responded!

I'm just trying to get out from under this big project! Then I can clear my head and see about "fixing" PS and LR! LOL! I actually backed up everything a week ago.

Real Name
Ken
I've been using PS CC and LR constantly the last week. I'm always signed in to the Creative Cloud, but usually just tells me there is a new version and then I update when I'm not doing something else. PS CC and LR are all current. So Creative Cloud could have updated while I was working.

The good news is that I was only using LR to find files and their locations. I don't use LR to process images....I ONLY use LR for it's catalog/data base feature. And that has been EXTREMELY helpful in my current project covering over 20 years of photography!

And I was "just" using PS to create preview thumbnails for Justin's 200 ish videos. So I would find a photo, re-size it for the video, put a title on it, then SAVE AS a .psd and a .jpg in a unique place on my HD. I didn't bother my own files!!! Thank goodness.

In PS I will have to re-create some custom Action and check all the Preference settings for ACR, Bridge and PS. Same with LR.....

I probably can find the actions on a prior back up I made using Macrium, but it will probably be easier to just create the actions again.
I wish you luck. Do report back if you do find the culprit.

--Ken

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom