PS CS2 delivered to my door this morning.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, Apr 21, 2005.

1. I just received a shipment from Adobe. My CS2 (Mac) just arrived and I am about to open the box.

I know this is the Nikon Cafe but I would love to hear your experiences with the NEW Photoshop and especially how it works (or if it doesn't work) with the new Nikon's D2h/hs.

I read a couple of posts on the D1scussion forum that NC 4.3 will be delivered mid May.

I have to go to work in a few minutes so I won't be able to test it until tommorrow but I will watch for your posts. :cry:

2. Wow, talk about hot off the presses! Didn't know it was shipping yet. Guess you must be one of the first to receive a copy. It will be interesting to see what you think.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Where'd you get it? I like the file browser in CS, but didn't like how it was integrated. Looks like they fixed that with CS2 and looks like its more workflow friendly, I'm pretty anxious to get my copy, but I won't make the same mistake of upgrading online this time. Will buy a boxed version for the same money and get the CDs and a manual :mad:

WRT NC 4.3, knowing Nikon it will be bigger, slower and hog even more memory. One of the things I love about using ACR is the fast workflow. The more bloated NC gets, the more I dislike it - it does make pretty images tough.

With my 3.2Ghz HT box with 4GB RAM NC is usable but slow - I guess it's high time I upgrade anyways.

4. I ordered it direct from Adobe via website. I installed it and have a couple of quick observations. Not to dwell on negative but it does not recognize D2x NEF files :x Neither does the DNG application so you have to open your raw NEF files in NC and then click on the PS icon. This transfers a Tiff file of the image to PS where you can do what you want to it as a Tiff file. I understand that there is going to be an upgrade soon which will at least give some functionallity with raw NEF files. Until then it is pretty much like before. The one other negative that I noticed is that the instructions say you have to uninstall Photoshop and deactivate it if you have it installed on your desk top and want to use it on another machine such as your lap top where you then have to activate it to use it and vise versa when you want to go back to the desktop. This will be much talked about... I guarantee!!!

On the plus side, it comes with a lite version of Dekes Total Training video. I have also ordered the full version of Total training which was shipped yesterday so I should have it by tommorrow.

By the way if you want to buy my PS CS Total Training Series, that will be up for sale on Ebay soon.

It is easy and quick to install and there were no problems on my Mac. It is quite fast and looks at first much like CS1. There is much more under the hood and I have not really gone in there yet so I will let you know as I try a few other things.

This is fun.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Scott,

Did you get the manual, the image CD (with all the royalty free images) and stuff like that?

Last time I ordered directly from adobe, I was stupid and did the download thing and only a binary file - no CD, no manual, etc.

If you did get all that, I'm gonna place an order now.

7. Great Idea Paul.

I am just about to close down now for work so I haven't got much more. One place to get good info is from the NAPP (National Association of Professional Photoshopusers) website.

I will report back on PS CS2 tommorrow. Hope you all have a great day.

8. Scott,
    So you are saying that you can NOT use the same copy on 2 computers at the same time without activation/deactivation?. If so, please e-mail me and I will be able to find a way around it :twisted:

9. There are instructions that say if you install it on a computer, you must activate it before use. If you install it on two or more computers, you must deactivate it on the last computer you were using and that allows you to transfer activation to the second or other computer on which you want to use it. I have a lap top and a desk top. both have the same software with the same serial number installed. The process is not difficult. All you have to do is go to the help section on the menu and then to transfer activation. Once you transfer activation you can not open or use PS again on the same machine unless you reactivate it. PS is still on the machine exactly as it was before but when you try to open it you are faced with a full sized splash screen that tells you that you must activate this version before you can use PS or you can not proceed. Once you press transfer activation it sends a message to Adobe with your serial number. A moment later it sends a message to you that says something like. Thank you, you are now free to activate another computer to use this version of Photoshop. I can then go to any computer that has my version/serial number installed and go the help button and press activate option in the splash screen that pops up when i attempt to open PS. after Adobe confirms my serial on my registered copy it allows me to use PS on my lap top or what ever computer I want. Only one computer may have an active version with the same serial number but you may have it on more than one computer. I am not sure if there is a limit. Also. I believe you must deactivate it from the computer it is currently active on. So if I am at work across town and the desk top at home is currently active. I must get someone at home to open it and deactivate it or I am out of luck and can not use it at my remote location. It does say that the activation process does not uninstall PS. It mearly makes in inaccessible. Also one other problem is that you must be hooked up to the internet to activate or deactivate it. If at work I do not have an internet connection, I can not use an inactive PS on that machine. Only Adobe can grant permission and finalize the activation process from Adobes website.

I guess this is what piracy has brought software companies to resort to. I an see Adobe's position, but it is a bit of an inconvenience. The alternative is to buy more than one upgrade serial number I guess.

10. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Man that's a bugger. What if your laptop doesn't have an internet connection when you need to activate it? - i.e., shooting from a job site?

Adobe's so huge and got such a market share, they shouldn't be such a stickler with piracy. After all, it's what got them there in the first place. Most pirates end up buying the software later if they really use it heavily.

Scott, did you miss my earlier question?

11. Gregory,
    Sorry I missed it. Yes I did get the cd from Adobe and it comes with a manual and a seperate Cd of the first disk from Total training for PS CS2 by Deke Mclellan as a teaser to buy the whole version. It also comes with several other folders filed with things like goodies and stock photos and filters and plug ins. Definitely worth getting instead of the download if your not in a big hurry. Adobe sent it overnight with am delivery for about $14 I think. i was very pleased with the package. The manual is very complete but a bit dry as the illustrations are in black and white. I haven't looked at it yet. I haven't really been able to use PS either tonight but I am off tommorrow so i will spend some time exploring and possibly answer some other quesions if I can.

12. Gregory,

PS does not have an image browser this time out. It calls the image browser the Bridge and it is a seperate applicationi that ships with PS CS2. it is very similar but better on many subtle levels. The biggest down side for right now is that the update that is planned has not been released and you can not open a raw file from the D2x or D2hs yet. I understand that a limited patch will soon be released allowing all but the WB. Hopefully that will change. I used to love the way PS handled my D1x raw files without going through NC.

It is clear that Nikon does not want to give up it's software share of the market. I will never understand why, (well, I assume it is financial but software can not be that big of an income source for a company who is primarily a hardware company). Also, software requires a large support staff and invites a lot of headaches because of all the variations of computers and OS platforms and user incompetence. I believe Nikon is now the only one not sharing file info with Adobe for complete raw processing.

13. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Mine should ship today as well! (UK) But it usually takes 3-4 days for UPS to deliver :(

14. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Thanks Scott! I went ahead and ordered it. Hope to have it soon. I'm looking forward to that Bridge (the main reason I have for upgrading). I love the fact that it's a seperate application now instead of opening inside of CS.

I was really disappointed with the download feature when I upgraded to CS online, as I could definately use the stock photos. I figured I would be able to download it then they would ship me the rest of the stuff... Boy was I wrong!

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I looked at Adobe's site and didn't see an obvious 'download' feature for CS2 (I probably would have gotten it if I had.) Can anyone supply a pointer to the page you can do that? I assume it's the same $149 either way.

16. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Its not available for download, and at present only Adobe are shipping direct. Suppliers wont get there stock till 1st week of May. Some US users already have there copies, Europeans will get theres some time next week.

17. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Maybe they removed it. I looked but didn't see it too. Last time they had an option to download or ship. If you download, you don't get anything else.

18. FYI,

As of Apr 23th, PSCS2 is available on the "black/free" market as well.

19. Scott,

Have you tried the feature that will merge two photos shot at different exposure into one? How are the results?

20. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Mine has been shipped. Hummmmm