PS re-install and can't print from it.

I have had to re-install everything on my computer, and PS is not cooperating well. Whenever I try to print something, it says that the printer can not be started, and that I must select the default printer. Well, all drivers are up to date. The printer is already set at default printer. I can print from other software.

When I try to search for help from Adobe, I see that others get the exact error message. Many of them get zero help from Adobe. One has some hints that the problem was solved, but without anything that might help me to follow the path to fixing the problem. I just now tried it again! I can't find anything for purging the print spooler or queue.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Any ideas?

How old is your printer, was it friendly with Win 10 if that is what you are on ? I have a cheap older one that had no 10 driver update, sat there a year, tried it again and it connected with win 10. ???????

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You have not told us which operating system you are using, nor have you told us the make and model of printer.

That message is telling you that you have not selected a valid printer in the print window in Photoshop - there is a pulldown. Have a close look at which printer you have selected. Try the pulldown and make sure the correct printer is selected. Try changing to a different one and then change back. Tell us the exact text shown in the pulldown you have selected. You could be trying to print to a fax within a multi-function HP printer for example.

If you are running Windows 10 then you may like to know that if you run the program: C:\Windows\system32\printmanagement.msc you will see the Windows Print Management window, where you can do everything possible with any printer. You can configure printers, look at print queues, do test prints and so on. Worth making a shortcut to it.

PS. You should never need to reinstall. It costs nothing to make an image backup when your computer is working correctly. Then if it all gets messed up it takes just 10 minutes to have it working correctly again with all its software.

Assuming all worked well prio to this the re install is the culprit and loss corruption of drivers suspect regardless of what Windows reports.
It is quite possible that other software may trigger printer while PS will not in these circumstances.

I would suggest two actions
1. Delete printer and drivers then reboot and reinstall printer according to mnfctr instructions.

2. Consider trashing preferences - it may be overkill but us standard procedure when PS tools misbehave.
Make sure PS not running
Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) as you start PS
You will be prompted to delete the current settings.
The new Preference files will be created the next time you start PS

How old is your printer, was it friendly with Win 10 if that is what you are on ? I have a cheap older one that had no 10 driver update, sat there a year, tried it again and it connected with win 10. ???????
Win 7, not 10.
Canon Pro-10 - not old. Prints from other applications (HTML, PDF, etc).

You have not told us which operating system you are using, nor have you told us the make and model of printer.

That message is telling you that you have not selected a valid printer in the print window in Photoshop - there is a pulldown. Have a close look at which printer you have selected. Try the pulldown and make sure the correct printer is selected. Try changing to a different one and then change back. Tell us the exact text shown in the pulldown you have selected. You could be trying to print to a fax within a multi-function HP printer for example.
PS. You should never need to reinstall. It costs nothing to make an image backup when your computer is working correctly. Then if it all gets messed up it takes just 10 minutes to have it working correctly again with all its software.
If you change the Motherboard, I think you have to re-install from scratch. I might be wrong, but that's what I've been told.
I'll try to find the pulldown menu for printing, but haven't found it yet. I don't get close to the printing subroutine. <ctrl>-p gives instant rejection message.

Assuming all worked well prio to this the re install is the culprit and loss corruption of drivers suspect regardless of what Windows reports.
It is quite possible that other software may trigger printer while PS will not in these circumstances.

I would suggest two actions
1. Delete printer and drivers then reboot and reinstall printer according to mnfctr instructions.

2. Consider trashing preferences - it may be overkill but us standard procedure when PS tools misbehave.
Make sure PS not running
Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) as you start PS
You will be prompted to delete the current settings.
The new Preference files will be created the next time you start PS
Thanks, Tony --
1. - did it but will do again.
2. - Manually deleted the preferences file, but forgot about the alt-ctrl-shift shortcut. Will try again.

*sigh* With the world-class help I'm getting from Adobe, I'm more inclined towards OnOne, DxO, or others......

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen

*sigh* With the world-class help I'm getting from Adobe, I'm more inclined towards OnOne, DxO, or others......
I understand your frustration, but I don't believe support from other s/w companies is necessarily better.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
If you change the Motherboard, I think you have to re-install from scratch. I might be wrong, but that's what I've been told.
I'll try to find the pulldown menu for printing, but haven't found it yet. I don't get close to the printing subroutine. <ctrl>-p gives instant rejection message.
It is not true. You did not need to reinstall from scratch. But regardless, you may have had trouble with activating Windows since it looks to Windows as if you have not bought a license. Presumably you found a solution to that.

When you installed Windows did you bring it up to date with all updates? If not that could be a problem. Keep updating until it says there are no more updates.

Did you install the printer using the Canon software or did you just plug it in and let Windows deal with it? Install it using the Canon software.

To print in Photoshop you should do File/Print on the menu. That should bring up a window where you select the printer. If you are not getting that window appearing, then you have a big problem.
If the printer shows up correctly in the program I told you about: C:\Windows\system32\printmanagement.msc and it works, then the problem is your PS installation. How did you install it?

I don't think you should be blaming Adobe. You have a basic problem with Windows and the printer.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom