PSCS2 Actions, frames and borders

PGB

Hello all. I need some advise direction etc. I have PSCS and I want to find a border/frame that I like. Where do you look for such an action?

Next in regards to printing and the workflow it takes to get there. I want to print some 8x10's and am not sure what I need to do in PSCS to get there. Do I resize my pic to 8x10 in pscs? What is the proper workflow for doing such a thing? I'll be going from raw to jpg in capture then opening in PSCS to place my border action and then to print.

Help! tell me how you do this. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks and Happy Memorial Day.

PGB

Mike thanks for the link.

Does anyone else want to share some ideas on this?

Thanks,

Patrick Bramlett said:

Patrick,

I just discovered Action Central a few days ago and like the variety of frame actions on their Downloads page. I've also used Fred Miranda's framing plugin which is quite nice but not free.

Joe

Patrick Bramlett said:
Hello all. I need some advise direction etc. I have PSCS and I want to find a border/frame that I like. Where do you look for such an action?

Patrick:
It looks like you have a good link in action central...
If you don't find a frame type that you like. Then you always have the ability to build your own and simply turn it into an action once you have it worked out. If I remember correctly there is some framing tutorials on action central that will get you going.

Patrick Bramlett said:
Next in regards to printing and the workflow it takes to get there. I want to print some 8x10's and am not sure what I need to do in PSCS to get there. Do I resize my pic to 8x10 in pscs? What is the proper workflow for doing such a thing? I'll be going from raw to jpg in capture then opening in PSCS to place my border action and then to print.

Help! tell me how you do this. I would really appreciate it.

When preparing a file for printing one needs to size the print to what ever size you want to print. So if you are looking for say an 8x10 print. then you would use your crop tool and size your image to 8x10. Leave your DPI at 300 and you will be away...
If you are doing it inhouse having the image in 16 bit compared to 8 bit will not matter as size is not an issue. But if you are sending it out.... then change it to 8-bit mode as most printers will not recognize 16-bit over 8 and you are just dealing with a larger file for nothing.

I hope this has help at least a little and good luck.

Doug Barber said:
So if you are looking for say an 8x10 print. then you would use your crop tool and size your image to 8x10. Leave your DPI at 300 and you will be away...

Actually, you don't have to crop to 8x10; you can just use image -> size and enter 8x10 in the size boxes. This resizes w/o cropping.

Pa said:
Actually, you don't have to crop to 8x10; you can just use image -> size and enter 8x10 in the size boxes. This resizes w/o cropping.

Sorry you are so RIGHT.... It's been a LONG DAY and I think my mind is going a little soft....
Thanks for fixing my mistake.

As a final thought.... (what there is left)
One needs to remember that adjusting the image size or canvas size "can" create some "bycubic" issues if one is not careful.

Cheers

Patrick,
While you can customize CS to print, I would strongly consider QImage if you intend to do a lot of printing, and print quality matters.

QImage has a very weird looking interface, but it is very powerful and simple. It automatically re-sizes and images for any output size you pick (no messing with dpi, or dimensions on your part), and has an excellent sharpening algorithm for printing as well.

I know it is yet another application to run, but for convenience alone it is worth its very modest cost ($45 I think)

QImage is the only way to print. It give great results, has great support, and is constantly evolving. It's simple to upgrade to the latest versions and once you buy it, all future versions are free. I can't recommend this program enough!

PGB

Thanks for all the great replies folks. I'll check out Bud's Frames and qimage.

I am definately looking for easy. :)

I have used the method that Doug and Pa have mentioned but thought I was doing it the incorrect way.

Thanks again.

joecolson said:
Patrick Bramlett said:

Patrick,

I just discovered Action Central a few days ago and like the variety of frame actions on their Downloads page. I've also used Fred Miranda's framing plugin which is quite nice but not free.

Joe

WOW Joe if I had only known that you didn't know this place existed, I would have told you. It is the best kept secret that us retouching members posted actions or tutorials. I posted one with Doug Barbers help.

Hope you have found many useful ideas on the site.

Latest threads

Top Bottom