PSE 11 vs Lightroom

I have to ask the pro's here cause I really don't know ... right now I'm using PSE 11 ... ... I see the new Lightroom just came out and I was wondering is it worth me switching over to that instead or not .... for my needs PSE 11 does most everything I need but if Lightroom was simpler to use and a little more handy I'd consider the switch ... can I have you thoughts please and as always thanks in advance I do appreciate your time !

Photoshop (including the Elements versions) is designed as a pixel level editor and as such can do many things that LR cannot (at this time!) such as compositing, advanced masking, etc.etc. if you use these features you may be dissappointed with the omission in LR. Both PS and LR use Adobe Camera Raw for processing your raw captures, in PSE there is limited toolset compared to either LR or PS CS6.

LR is excellent for managing your files as well as editing in a non destructive manner via Camera Raw. It is a fairly complete app for managing, editing and printing and is all that some photographers need for image prep. Others find that a trip to Photoshop is necessary for fine tuning of some images (me included!) and could not manage without the flexibility of PS.

As you already have PSE11 why not download the trial of LR and evaluate yourself before committing to purchase? Once you have decided and assuming you want LR then your PSE11 could be used to fine tune those images that need the extra care and attention

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys and I think I will try the trail version .... the article was very interesting but I liked the comments below ..... I thought raw may be the same in both as I like to shoot that way .... the idea of having to able to pp quit a few shots at one time is appealing .... again thanks guys it's much appreciated !!

I have been using PSE 11, in conjunction with Photomechanic and DXO.

Photomechanic is my photo manager. I don't bother with the PSE organiser. DXO is my batch editor and RAW converter. PSE is my tweak editor or heavy editor and RAW converter when I am concentrating one photo at a time.

So far I haven't run into any limits with PSE other than not being able to create actions and to get full editing you have to be in 8 bit, not 16. For me no biggie.

The plugins I use are Portrait Professional and Topaz suite.

I would say download the trial and see for yourself if it makes things easier or harder.

Why does it need to be an either / or? You don't have to get rid of PSE, just buy or try LR5. When you need to you can export to PSE make the edit and those edits will come back into LR5. Lightroom is designed for photographers, while PSE is a generalized graphics program that also works on photos. I find you can do 95% of what you would ever want in LR and it is much faster.

Why does it need to be an either / or?
Lightroom is a powerful RAW editor and organizer and handles 16 bit depth just fine. PSE has very few tools which function in the 16 bit editing mode, most edit in the 8 bit mode. So what's the point of shooting RAW, if you're going to immediately be left with only an 8 bit depth rate. You might as well shoot jpeg and skip the RAW editing step.

But functionally you're right. You can import to Lightroom and then export to PSE for edits with no problem.

I've been using Elements 9 for the last 2 years. With new camera upgrade, I decided to get LR instead of upgrading Elements. I was expecting more direct similarity with some additional features. Instead, I found many similar features to be enough different to be a bit confusing.

I only used PSE for raw editing (25 - 30k images a year). The actual editing of the images is almost the same with (quite a few) additional features. Although the catalog system is similar in concept, I found the implementation to have some differences.

Unfortunately, I consider the additional raw editing tools in LR to be essential, and I don't want to live without them. But, I prefer the way PSE worked, and I'll just have to learn the LR way. In the meantime, I'm putting off editing some images, because I don't want to face LR.

I miss my Elements, but OH, the power of Lightroom!

DKmoon

I just went from PSE9 to PSE 11 to deal with D800 RAW files. It seems to be more stable on my 8GB quad core 64bit system. But I still use NX2 as well. The organizer function in PSE makes for an easier workflow for me. That said, I liked the PSE 9 interface better than PSE 11.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom