1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

PSE 7 Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dannb, Jul 31, 2009.

1. dannb

dannb

Jan 27, 2009
    Silverton, Oregon
    I've had my D90 for about eight months and am slowly getting more comfortable with it. I finally made a serious attempt at shooting for an evening in RAW. However, PS Elements 7 can't seem to open the files. I have tried the "all format" option and several others--including the NEF file type option--and keep getting a message stating that PSE7 cannot open the file because it is the "wrong type of file."

I'm really new to PS and somewhat of a technological dunce, so I imagine I am making a rookie mistake.

2. TXAvi8tor

TXAvi8tor

Feb 6, 2009
    Texas!
    You're not making a rookie mistake. You need to update the version of Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) that shipped with PSE7. It predates the D90 and doesn't recognize raw files the body produces, even though they have the same .NEF suffix as other Nikon raw files.

Update to the latest version of ACR:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4524

3. dannb

dannb

Jan 27, 2009
    Silverton, Oregon
    Thank you very much. I appreciate the quick response. I'm sitting around nursing a daughter that just had her wisdom teeth pulled and will look into this right now.

4. dannb

dannb

Jan 27, 2009
    Silverton, Oregon
    Hmm...downloaded, extracted, installed and I'm still getting the same message. This is where the techno dunce steps in.

5. TXAvi8tor

TXAvi8tor

Feb 6, 2009
    Texas!
    These instructions are way at the bottom of the page I linked:

This new version of the Camera Raw plug-in replaces the original Camera Raw plug-in that was installed with Adobe Creative Suite 4, Photoshop CS4, Photoshop Elements 6.0 or 7 and Premiere Elements 4.0 or 7.

To install with Adobe Photoshop Elements:
    NOTE: You must follow all of the new instructions in order to successfully install the Camera Raw Plug-in for Photoshop Elements.

1. Exit Photoshop Elements
    2. Open the download file and double-click CameraProfiles.exe and follow the on-screen instructions
    3. Open My Computer
    4. Double-click Local Disk (C:) 
    5. Navigate to the location designated by your version of Photoshop Elements: (Please read directory carefully)

Photoshop Elements 7.0: Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 7.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats
    6. Move the existing Camera Raw.8bi plug-in to another location (for example, a new folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need to revert back.
    7. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw.8bi, from the download into the same folder as Step 5.

[NOTE THE PATH & ENSURE THAT'S WHERE YOU COPIED THE NEWER VERSION. I didn't move the existing Camera Raw.8bi file, instead renaming it to something like ACR8bi.old.]

8. Launch Photoshop Elements.

This worked for me.

6. dannb

dannb

Jan 27, 2009
    Silverton, Oregon
    Thanks, Larry. I'm guessing I missed a step, or two, listed here. I'll give it another go. I started by printing the instructions, so I can watch my step.

Once I get this figured out, I'll post a photo for you.

7. dannb

dannb

Jan 27, 2009
    Silverton, Oregon
    Say, reading and following the instructions accurately is pretty effective. I think I finally got it.

Thanks, again, for the help, Larry. Buy you a beer?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dannb/3778416428/

Now I have to learn how to actually post a photo, instead of just the link. I thought I had done this successfully a time, or two, but clicking the "insert image" icon and pasting the ulr didn't seem to do the trick.

8. dannb

dannb

Jan 27, 2009
    Silverton, Oregon
    Let's see if this works:

3778416428_a7392ded05_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is straight out of the camera by the way, with the dandy 35 1.8.

9. TXAvi8tor

TXAvi8tor

Feb 6, 2009
    Texas!
    Glad it worked, and thanks for the beer! I'd love to return to Oregon to drink it (a client is in Portland).

btw, I use a combination of Nikon View (came with the camera) and PSE7/ACR for most of my PP. If you don't have Scott Kelby's book http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Ele...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249146486&sr=1-1 I highly recommend it.

For quick edits I like FastSone image viewer http://www.faststone.org/download.htm for down-and-dirty viewing, quick edits & resizing, etc. It works with Nikon RAW images - open one & save your edit as a .JPG. Used it to create this:
    6154-Black21-shortfinalto18-1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

which is an extreme crop of the original with a small contrast & saturation increase & sharpening in FastStone.

10. dannb

dannb

Jan 27, 2009
    Silverton, Oregon
    Thanks, Larry, I'll look into that book and the other programs you suggested.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.