PSE Raw defaults?! help

Discussion in 'Adobe Processing Products' started by threecats, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Not sure how best to title this so someone checks post. Why when I open raw in elements does this thing by default boost brightness by 50 and contrast by 25?

Shouldn't the program open everything at zero? I guess I could try and open the same image in NX and PSE and compare them side to side. I am using elements 6 btw.

2. yendikeno

yendikeno

Mar 31, 2008
    CA
    I don't have PSE6 yet, but in earlier versions there was a menu setting to eliminate auto adjustments. Hopefully someone more familiar with 6 can tell you where to find it.

3. hmmm I am looking in a manual here and even the picture on their page shows the same settings

4. yendikeno

yendikeno

Mar 31, 2008
    CA
    Yes, it probably does because that is the default setting. But there should be a way to turn off auto adjustments.

5. Don't be fooled by the +50 for brightness and +25 for contrast. These numbers are left over from previous versions and they are currently the ACR default settings. They mean the same as zero and are NOT some sort of secret automatic boost of your brightness or contrast. Confusing?.........yes; even odd and mysterious.

I spent a few minutes Googling the "proof" of this without success, but it is something about which I read on an Adobe site some time in the not too distant past. I'll leave it to you to dig deeper.

6. Thanks Bob,
    I won't dig deeper as my head will spin off but I guess it must be true as when I open a raw image in capture or PSE they look pretty much alike.