Psychiatric Hospitals

A few Psychiatric Hospitals I've visited. Their sadness and emotion never fail to move me.

Pennhurst in Spring City Pa.
2950991790_2f09044905_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Building #93 at Kings Park on Long Island NY.
2657546568_5761c64b9b_z.jpg

Marlboro in Freehold NJ.
2687033462_5906a24bbe_z.jpg

Very nice series. However, I would like to see more contrast and "gritty" details in #1 and, perhaps, at a different time of day, with light from windows... Just my humble opinion. #3 could be straightened out a tiny bit.

Thank you for sharing such wonderful work.

Tri:smile:

# 1 looks like something out of the 1800's! Really Love It!

# 2's processing is so Cool! Nice image also & # 3 has a dreamy soft focus which creates a nostalgic feel! Well Done!

I like them all, In #3 the fact that you caught a dark bird flying makes the picture for me, it adds a little bit of a creepy affect.

Fred, I just love that building in #3. #1 makes me sad when I think of how horribly psychiatric patients were treated not long ago that now can have relatively decent lives. Each of your three shots have such distinctly different atmospheres!

Very moving and very disturbing.

Interesting processing and really suited for the subject.
The fact this place the images further in the past gives some solace.

Very nice series. However, I would like to see more contrast and "gritty" details in #1 and, perhaps, at a different time of day, with light from windows... Just my humble opinion. #3 could be straightened out a tiny bit.

Thank you for sharing such wonderful work.

Tri:smile:

Thanks Tri - comments much appreciated. I debated messing with the slashing sun - the way it runs up hill def makes the image look off kilter. I decided not to, but considering that fact that you are noticing it I prob made the wrong decision.

# 1 looks like something out of the 1800's! Really Love It!

# 2's processing is so Cool! Nice image also & # 3 has a dreamy soft focus which creates a nostalgic feel! Well Done!

I believe all three places were built in the 1800's. Thanks for the kind words!

The processing you have done here is so very suitable for the subject matter. Very cool!

Thanks! :smile:

Disturbing images, very well executed.

Thanks Peter.

I like them all, In #3 the fact that you caught a dark bird flying makes the picture for me, it adds a little bit of a creepy affect.

Thanks. Funny story regarding the birds (buzzards). I approached this building from behind an overgrown tree-line. When I turned the corner I could see like 10 or 15 of these huge buzzards on the roof. When they saw me they all started to fly which caused the hair on my neck to stand up and instinctively cover my head with my arms. By the time I thought to myself "dude your missing the blooming' shot" they were all gone but the one.

I like them all also. remarkable processing, so appropriate to the subject.

Thanks. I really enjoy the edits on this type images.

Fred, I just love that building in #3. #1 makes me sad when I think of how horribly psychiatric patients were treated not long ago that now can have relatively decent lives. Each of your three shots have such distinctly different atmospheres!

Thanks. I was lucky enough to conduct an ad-hoc interview with the former asst administrator of Pennhurst - he explained how as state funding and medical staff were cut back in the 1980's Pennhust indeed become a horrific place. Minium wage non-medical employees were hired without background checks to replace proper medical staff. In the end, those who really cared were blamed for the mistreatment of patients. Quite a sad story any way you look at it.

Well done. The lonely wheel chain in the abandoned building is a particularly evocative image.

Thanks much appreciated!

Very moving and very disturbing.

Interesting processing and really suited for the subject.
The fact this place the images further in the past gives some solace.

Thank you Bart!

REally nice set, Fred, and excellent choice of processing in each image. Heartbreak reeks in every one.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom