Critique Pull

As soon as this wine arrived from my wine club, I asked my friend to loan her brass corkscrew to me so I could photograph it again.

Setup
The background and tabletop are a single sheet of gold, translucent art paper (that I don't remember using before now). A small continuous-light lamp fitted with a diffusion sock and two paper towels to reduce the brightness that was lighting the scene from behind was close to and directly behind the bottle. Another small lamp fitted with a diffusion sock to diffuse the light lit the overall scene from high above on the left.

Focus Stacking
7 focus-bracketed images at Nikon step size 3 were stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings. The rear of the corkscrew and everything behind it were intentionally left out of focus.

Mike 2020-08-28--0004-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Excellent conceptualization and a nice execution. For me, I find the center background just a wee bit bright, which causes my eyes to constantly gravitate to the background. The light also turned the copper color in the foreground to more yellow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you to Nick, Dave and Karen!

And I was looking for a nice shotgun skeet shot!!
Fooled ya and I wasn't even trying!

For me, I find the center background just a wee bit bright, which causes my eyes to constantly gravitate to the background
I can imagine toning that down without causing any harm. You should have seen it before I added the two paper towels to reduce the brightness.

The light also turned the copper color in the foreground to more yellow.
Light shining entirely from behind and through a material will never be exactly the same color as light entirely reflected off the same material. The question isn't whether the color is different; the question is whether the difference in color is a strength or a weakness. The answer to that is a personal choice up to every individual viewer.

Even though I have never had a drink of wine in my life I can nevertheless appreciate fine photography when I see it. Well done Mike, I'm certain the winery would love to hang this beautiful shot in their tasting room.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom