Pulled the trigger

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by JeffKohn, Aug 10, 2005.

1. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well, I ordered the D2X and 200-400VR from Cameta, they should be here tomorrow if all goes according to plan. I am a little worried about the focus issues, having gone through the backfocus problem with my D70 last year; but hopefully Cameta does enough volume that the one I receive will be from a recent batch. I've got 6 weeks until our trip to get familiar with the camera and make sure there are no issues with it.

Of course as soon as I order there's all this buzz about Canon's upcoming full-frame model and what Nikon will do to answer. But really it's not so much the 12MP sensor that I'm moving to the D2x for, but rather CAM2000 AF, fast frame rate, big buffer, integrated vert grip, AF-On button, viewfinder, etc. Even if the D200 gets a 12mp+ sensor I doubt it's going to have many of those features. I think the D2x will keep me happy for quite some time to come.

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    10 grand burning a hole in you pocket, was it? ;)

Well, congrats are in order. Now hurry and get a replacement foot for that thing so you can mount it to something!

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Re: 10 grand burning a hole in you pocket, was it? ;)

LOL, I'm one step ahead of you. Already have the L-bracket, spare battery, and cable release for the D2X; and the RRS replacement foot for the 200-400 VR should be here tomorrow as well. (I've been planning this purchase for a while :) )

4. Don't get too hung up on the rumor mill.
    If rumors of the 5D are true, it will be like Kodaks
    amateur bodied 14N. The D2x is a serious pro camera.

IMO Canon makes a good camera, Nikon makes it better!

You will Love the D2x!

Cheers,
    Robin

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Got enough big CF cadrs?

You'll go through a 1 gig card like sh!t through a goose :shock: :wink: I recommend 2 gigs minimum, or even 4. I have 3-2's and 1-4. Nothing more irritating than the frustration of trying to take the next shot, but it won't...only to find out the card's full. (did that last Sun) :oops:

6. Yes it certainly does eat up a card pretty quick but the final
    results are well worth the extra cards.

7. Congrats I got my D2X a few weeks ago and recieved my 200-400 from Cameta today, look forward to hearign your experiences.

8. Congrats Jeff, you will love them both! Best of luck and enjoy them!!

9. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks all. Part of me still can't believe I spent this much on camera equipment but then again it was profit from a stock sale so it's not like I'm taking food off the table.

I currently have 2x2GB Ultra II cards, hopefully that should be enough for now. I have a 40GB hard drive leftover from a recent laptop upgrade, so I think I'm going to get a PD70X to put it in.

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Agreed. After getting to handle somebody else's D2X a while back I knew that was what I wanted. I guess I just was curious about the speculation of how Nikon will respond (ie price drop on D2x). But I'd rather have it now and get the use out of it rather than wait just to see if the price goes down, especially since I wanted to ugprade before vacation next month.

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

12. xaviermacau

xaviermacau

May 9, 2005
    Macau
    I only needed a D2Hs for the Cam 2000, WB, and noise, but my supplier coudn't get me in 2 months time so last May I bite the D2x and let me tell you, WB, and AF are superb. Hope you enjoy it.

13. Ka Ching! $$$$$

But worth every penny. I don't regret my purchase one bit. Enjoy.

Rich

14. Hey there Jeff,

Nice going. You decided to "go deep" with the D2x and 200-400, and I doubt you'll regret it for a single moment.

Best wishes,

David

15. you will be quite happy with this combo. I really love mine but find myself not using the 200-400 very much since the weather has warmmed and the trees are in full foliage. Hard to see the birds let alone photog them this time of year.

16. Alright Jeff!

Now drag you butt up here to Dallas and we'll have a D2X/200-400 shootaround!

Looking forward to those first shots!

_/oe

17. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well, UPS tracking shows it's "Out for delivery", fortunately I'm working from home today so I can be here to sign for it.

Heh. I'll probably do another Tiger shoot this fall, 200-400 might actually be too much lens for that but I'd love to see how the D2X focusing does at tracking those suckers.

18. Here ya go:

D2X w/200-400mm VR:
    [​IMG]

It works well up there as the morning grows and the light gets better. The lens hood fits right through the fence opening but make sure you bring something to cover the lens hood with or you'll scratch it up (which I learned through experience...). The fence opening acts like a monopod so you'll find that it's how you'll use it (the tigers do charge every now and then but that's just adds to the fun of it).

_/oe