Puppy Saga, Or tough times for TD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real Name
Tim
Last night, my Female Brittany wigged out on us after having a litter of pups. She killed every pup except this one. The littlest male survived, barely after being laid on until he was not breathing, after I got him out, she kicked him so hard he hit the porch door in the air from four feet away. I got him away from her and blew in his nostrils until he cranked up again. So I put him inside my shirt and made the 40 mile trip to Winter Haven to the EM Vet Clinic at 1:30 AM this morning. The little guy cried all the way, when he quit crying I moved him a little so he would stay with me by whimpering again. This is a pic I felt compelled to get as the Vet said it is a long road for him to survive. He weighs 4 oz. They ask me if I had named such a young pup, and I replied that I had ,on the trip up. TD for Tough Dog. If he survives he will never leave this house. He is fighting very hard so we hope for the best.Have him on heat 24-7 now except for nursing and this one pic. She will never be bred again.
Held at arms length with on board flash and a garbage bag for background Sig 24-60 2.8. Hang Tough TD.
Tim
333109689_wzRAw-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Brittanys are a great breed and I am sorry this is happening. My best wishes for TD and you all.
Dave

Real Name
Tim
Thanks, everyone. I am normally a tough individual, but not now. I feel helpless. Except for the care we can give it is all up to him.
Tim

hmmmmmm
so sorry to hear this
we'll never know why this happened....
post-partum depression is so common in humans... we forget that "hormonal changes" associated with pregnancy and birth can have an effect on the very same issues in the canine world

we will all hope that things work out for the best

Real Name
Tim
Steve, While it may not be normal, it is not unheard of. I will put it that way. Some females react violently towards their young. Unfortuneately this is another instance of that behavior.
Tim

I cried when I heard that story because I have a dog of my own and know how you feel. I hope he makes it and comes back home. God Bless you and the puppy.

W

Whitedog

My screen name has to do with my dogs so obviously I have a real soft spot for them. I hope he does well and you have him for years to come.

Real Name
Tim
Just got finished with his 6th feeding at 2PM and seems to be weak but holding his own. We are going on the the less is more, more often, on feed as prescibed by the Vet. Will see if this gets him up and running. This will be around the clock every two hours for at least two weeks. He seems to be responding a bit, but as warned by the Vet, set backs come in a hurry in these situations. We are staying with it and keeping our fingers crossed. Thank you from our family to you. We know this is not a human life but he is a part of our family by being born here, and we will try to save his life as such. He's a fighter and for that I admire him. Will keep you up dated as I can.
Thanks Again for the thoughts and words, Tim

Tim,

Great shot!! Yes, unfortunately, not uncommon, and I commend you for your decision to not breed her again, as such temperament tendancies often run in bloodlines (ie. I bet her dam had a similar history).

I'm sure the vet told you that fluid is most important to young puppies.....hydration is the key. She may also settle in to motherhood after the first 24-36hrs, as her hormones settle a bit.

My prayers are with you and TD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Top Bottom