Purchased a Printer

I finally broke down and purchased a photo printer. Actually my wife insisted that I get something. She was tired of not getting prints. Now if I can only figure out a way to get her to do that with the 300 f2.8! :wink:

I got a pretty good deal at Staples on the Epson R1900. It is $549 and there is a mail in rebate for a $200 Visa card. So for $350 I think I did ok.

Any suggestions on paper?

Now the next question is I've been thinking about a getting a calibration tool for my monitor. I'm curious how many of you have them. Nothing fancy, maybe an I2 or Spyder.

Hey Mike,

Any paper that you can get that someone already profiled with Epson's inks would be a good start - that way you can get accurate prints once your monitor is calibrated. Digital Art Supplies and Red River paper are good sources.

Sean

print media is extremely personal. for me, using any media I want to is on of the few reasons to justify the expensive and complicated endeavor of home printing at the level of a high end lab.

what kind of paper do you want to print on? you own the printer now, your the boss, print on whatever you want.

For color, I really like the Epson Ultra Premium Lustre. It is also fairly reasonable in price. The Super Premium Glossy Photo is pretty good also, and with the epson profiles, prints very similar to the Lustre. I use 4x6 glossies as "proofs", and get very similar results with the final print on Lustre.

For B&W using the Advanced B&W driver, I absolutely love Epson Exhibition Fiber. It is pretty reasonable from Atlex, but hideously expensive at many places. Absolutely fantastic results though. I understand it is also great on color, but I have not tried it since I am zoned in on printing color to the Lustre paper.

I don't do matte papers - personally don't care for the look and changing black inks is a pain on the Epson's.

Many paper companies offer variety packs so you don't have to buy in bulk something you may not like.

Try Red River Paper. Even after shipping and handling they are reasonably priced. They have some sample packs you can get to understand what their different products are.

They also have profiles for their papers.... but getting the Epson printer to adequately respect the colorspace and profiles you sent it is a different matter.

I also have an R1900. www.redriverpaper.com

Thanks for the feedback. I spent half a day on Sunday printing an order for a customer. It is really nice to have the printer at home to make final adjustment on exposure etc.

So far I have used the Epson Premium Glossy (the 5 star) and the HP Ultra Premium. I like the HP to be able to back print. The Epson paper does not like back printing too much. The ink does not fully dry.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom